• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jordan's Grave - New Oscott

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I've been researching Jordan's Grave for some time and theories abound as to what it is and who Jordan was. He could have been a highwayman, hung on the gibbet just down the road, a self-murderer/suicide (buried at the crossroads with a stake through his heart) or maybe a gypsy interred at a wayside burial? Could it just be a nickname assigned to a pile of stones put there to mark the boundary and meeting point of two counties (Staffs & Warks) and three parishes (Perry, Sutton and Erdington)? These are just a few of the options.

In 2017 Astoness drew my attention to the thread below but although I've tried several times I haven't been able to access it.
hi pen the last post on this thread is interesting..
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/jordans-grave-oscott.28536/

I know that the 'grave' was marked on maps from at least the middle of the 1600's and that William Dugdale felt it important enough to mention in his 'Antiquities of Warwickshire'. However, that's all he did - mention it - no details unfortunately.

It's probably now in the grounds of St Mary's College which was built in the 1830's and around the time that the name Beggars Bush first appeared up the road. I have applied for permission to take photographs of the area but this hasn't been granted yet.

Any help, newspaper cuttings, information would be really appreciated please.

I've attached some maps for location one of which I used when researching Baldmore Lake.

Beighton's map.pngSketch Pre-1801.jpgJordans Grave on Enclosure Map.jpgSpencer Image.jpg

The first mentions in the papers that I can find are in the Sutton Coldfield inclosure of 1826 and 1827.

“A place called Jordan’s Grave which separates the hamlet of Erdington from the manor of Perry Barr.”

Back