• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jordan & Co bought by Thomas Walker in1863

cazap

proper brummie kid
Has anyone heard of this company it was in Milk Street in the 1860's and bought by Thomas walker in 1863 selling leather goods
Cazap

No mention in the 1855 Whites or Post Office or the 1858 Dix or 1862 corporation directories. .This is for “Jordan & Co”, Jordan in Milk St, and for any Jordan associated with leather (other than shoemakers). There is a Jordan & Co , basket & perambulator manufacturer, 124 Irving St in 1867, together with several Jordans concerned with leather producta, but not in Milk St. In 1867 there are no Jordans or Walker , or leather dealers listed in Milk St. the early directories are sometimes a little before the publication date, which is why I listed 1867.

I can find no firms around that date that fit, nor any firm jordan in milk St (though a very small firm might not be in the directory). However I have found the following in local directories at a later date:
1869-68 Jordan & Greaves, leather legging manufrs. 96 Granville st
1872 Jordan & Dawson, leather legging manufrs. 96 Granville st
1873 Jordan & Dawson, boot upper manufacturers, 93-96 Granville st
1876 James Jordan, James, legging manufacturer, 93-96 Granville st
1878-82 Jordan, James, legging manufacturer ,Exeter st
1883 Jordan, James & Co. Boot leather upper manufacturers, Bread St
1884 Jordan & Co. boot upper & leather goods manufs. Bread st
1888 Walker Thos. leather goods manufr. Bread st
1890 Walker, Thomas, Leather goods manufacturer, Bread St
The factories in 1884 & 1888 are at the same position in Bread St, though no number is given, I am sure they are the same factory
Before 1888 there are a number of Thomas Walkers, none very closely associated with leather. The nearest is a belt & braces manufacturer , 3 Brook St, St Pauls

I have found this advert in the Birmingham Daily Post 12 December 1887 - T Walker Bread St

Attachments

• walker_Monday2C_December_122C_1887.JPG
    walker_Monday2C_December_122C_1887.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 18
If of interest, I am pretty sure that Thomas Walkers factory in Bread St was the one in red on the c 1889 map below

map_bread_st_c_1889_showing_thomas_Walkers_factory.jpg

Mike anything at all about Thomas walker is of interest as I am doing a project on the whole family again many thanks. I have quite a few questions I would like answering, but do not wish to be a nuisance
Cazap

There was a bedstead company walker and fellows appollo works moseley street
henry walker and james henry fellows.....parternship dissolved in 1876? wondered if any connection with my walkers and fellows auctioneers
Also what district of Brum is bread street in.
cazap

cazap have you traced your Thomas Walker on the censuses to find his family? Do you know when/where he died?

I have a quite extensive family tree but a Henry Walker doesnt show. Its the business side I am light on as they had four fires over the years,one of them in the owners office, and many documents were lost
I do search really hard before I come on line, but being a foreigner (Yorkshire) my knowledge of the city is rather limited

What a shame so many documents were lost in fires. I only asked about the censuses because I know people on here would help you if you didn't have that information.
Don't worry about asking questions - we have many members on here that love looking for things as it helps us to discover things about Birmingham History that otherwise may have gone undiscovered. :peaceful:

thanks again are you all 'volunteers' cos if you are its great.
Are there any documents showing which children went to school in the 1830/40's as Thomas walker was in a family of 10 in a back court in Mount Street and yet at 17 he went to London as a clerk....how would he be able to read

Yes we are all "volunteers"!
In the early part of the 19th century there were 'Schools of industry' set up to provide the poor with manual training and elementary instruction.
In 1816, 875,000 of the country's 1.5m children 'attended a school of some kind for some period'. By 1835 the figure was 1.45m out of 1.75m.
Although by 1835 the average duration of school attendance was just one year!
Five School Sites Acts were passed between 1841 and 1852, designed to facilitate the purchase of land for school buildings and to make 'Parliamentary Grants for the Education of the Poor'.
By 1851 the average length of school attendance had risen to two years.
Sunday schools also taught children to read the Bible and copy Bible text and prayers etc.

You certainly have a point cazap, as the Saltley Training college for Anglican teachers, which opened in 1858, did a survey in 1868 which showed that of 908 factory workers between 13 & 21, only 41 could satisfactorily complete tests in reading, writing and arithmetic. This survey contributed to the formation of Board schools in the Birmingham area, leading to improved educational standards.

Thanks Linda and Mike I certainly did not know anything about school boards so that has added to my own education. Would Birmingham have kept registers do you think? and then the big question where could they be now.

sadly I dont think there are I have tried loadsof other times to get info and its just zilch....

Back