• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jones, Smart & Co Glassworks Aston Hill

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The address given for this glassworks was Aston Hill. Does anyone know where exactly this was ? The glassworks would have been very visible far afield given the size of the cone. Not heard it mentioned before. Viv.

0673A8A8-47D8-409F-8412-29675E1EB811.jpeg

I found this entry in the 1849 PO Directory which suggests it was somewhere around Sutton Street & The Retreat, hard to imagine that enormous structure there and not much history about it.

Attachments

• aston-hill.jpg
    aston-hill.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4
According to Francis Buckley in his pamphlet "The Birmingham Glass Trade"(below), Jones Smart & Co were the original owners of the Aston Glass Works which was later run by Brueton Gibbins & Williams (though the order of those names seems to vary), who in 1823 were Gibbins Brothers .
The engraving in Wrightson's 1818 directory looks similar to the earlier Jones and Smart one. (this is not fully shown in the available DVDs of Wrightsons, though is in the 1969 book reprint).
The 1823 directory merely describes the firm as at the Aston Glass works. However the 1829 edition lists it as Bagot St. and the firm is listed there for some years, at a position towards the eastern end on the north side of the street. However we cannot be certain that the firm did not move and that that site is the same as the original Aston Glass works, so the original works might be somewhere else

aston glass works.jpgaston glass works from Wrightsons Directory 1818A.jpg

i thought this had been discussed before...thread below and its very interestin

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. Shall merge the info here with the earlier info. The thread diverged to cover several glassworks, not just this Aston Hill one, so shall try and untangle it all later. Viv.

Back