• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jones Amelia Ann

Greta Wilkie

proper brummie kid
My first post on here, I hope I'm doing this correctly. Amelia Ann Jones,( maiden name Owen ) my maternal granny. Where are you !!!! Amelia was born on 7th May 1893 West Bromwich she married Joseph Jones on 26 Dec 1913 at St Pauls Stockingford, they both lived at Westbury Avenue Stockingford, Amelia and Joseph had two children Silvia Millicent and George Edward Jones, I don't know what happened with Joseph however in March 1927 Amelia is living with my Grandfather Horace Chivers as man and wife, at 51 Binley Avenue Binley, Warwicks. She gave birth to Greta Chivers . They moved to 40 Featherstone Avenue Featherstone Wolverhampton where my mother Constance Irene Chivers was born 10 May 1928, Amelia's first two are also with them. Amelia is believed to have died around 1929 ish because Horace came to Yorkshire with his Daughters Greta and Constance, Horace died of T.B. in January 1936 age 45. Now I know of Amelia's siblings, her Parents, Charles Edward Owen and Amelia Owen formerly Courtney. After almost thirty years at last I've made contact with actual cousins of my mother, do they know of Amelia not a lot ( as Paul Daniels might say), family has it that she died of white leg, a condition of thrombosis that happens when confined to bed possibly following a birth...I have searched and searched again many times looking for an entry of Amelia's death with no luck, I've tried searching under her married name of Jones and also her assumed name of Chivers still no luck, can anyone on here help at all. Thank you in anticipation, here endeth my first post, ive tried to keep it short. !!!

welcome greta...you have certainly come to the right place as we love a mystery and helping with brick walls...:rolleyes: we have a quite a few members on here that i am sure will be only to happy to try and help you so watch this space

lyn

welcome greta...you have certainly come to the right place as we love a mystery and helping with brick walls...:rolleyes: we have a quite a few members on here that i am sure will be only to happy to try and help you so watch this space

lyn
Thank you so much, I was at one time with a family history site that produced the Midland Ancestor booklets, I still have them. I would have loved my mother to be able to chat with the cousin I am in touch with she is the daughter of Amelia's sister Gladys, sadly my mother died in 2007 just a couple of years after my husband, its life changing and I'm afraid the research went on hold until I felt better able to do it, life happens n now I'm looking again with renewed vigour x Greta

greta i had similar loses within similar time scales so i do sympathise with you...glad you now feel strong enough to continue your journey though ..after over 10 years of researching my lot i have little breaks these days and just pick it up again usually during the winter months as you never know what may turn up...good luck and as i always say..ONWARD AND UPWARD

lyn

Hi Greta, I amongst others on here will give it our best shot at finding out what we can but can I suggest that, now you have picked up your research again, you go to Ancestry and revise your family tree .On there you say that Amelia Ann was born in District Columbia USA on 7th May 1893 and that Greta was born in West Virginia 1927 and Constance in Wolverhampton1928 and she married William Burton in Georgia when in fact it was in yorkshire.You also say that Amelia died in 1930.
Alberta

Last edited:
Life isn't always easy is it Lyn, by the time you go through the growing up bit, marrying n having family, working, n everything that comes with it, you look round and your parents are old n need looking after, I still feel in my mind that I am 27 but my body keeps reminding me to add 40 years to that ha ha

Hi Greta, I amongst others on here will give it our best shot at finding out what we can but can I suggest that, now you have picked up your research again, you go to Ancestry and revise your family tree .On there you say that Amelia Ann was born in District Columbia USA on 7th May 1893 and that Greta was born in West Virginia 1927 and Constance in Wolverhampton1928.You also say that Amelia died in 1930.
Alberta
I know I think I added the birth from someone else's tree, its not my Amelia. My Amelia was born in West Bromwich, Greta was born in Binley Warwickshire,thank you, looking forward to chatting with you

Just thought as well, I made another membership on ancestry, I keep having that usa connection flagged up not sure what to do about it

No luck with a death for Amelia yet. Was Horace already married?
yes my grandfather Horace Chivers had married Elizabeth Stones in 1913 however they had parted. Elizabeth married again when Horace died in 1936. Horace was originally from the Forest of Dean and I believe he had family in Birmingham area according to my memories of family stories. How he came to meet Amelia I don't know, he had been in the York and Lancs during ww1 and I tried to find whether he had served with Amelias husband Joseph Jones, I haven't proved this though, regards Greta

I see he married Eliza in Rotherham so I assume that might be why he went back to Yorkshire after Amelia died.

yes my grandfather Horace Chivers had married Elizabeth Stones in 1913 however they had parted. Elizabeth married again when Horace died in 1936. Horace was originally from the Forest of Dean and I believe he had family in Birmingham area according to my memories of family stories. How he came to meet Amelia I don't know, he had been in the York and Lancs during ww1 and I tried to find whether he had served with Amelias husband Joseph Jones, I haven't proved this though, regards Greta
I see he married Eliza in Rotherham so I assume that might be why he went back to Yorkshire after Amelia died.
We aren't in Rotherham but if you imagine our village Thurnscoe its 8 mile approx. from Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster with us at the centre point so to speak, our phone area code and post code is a Sheffield code s63, when we write a letter our village address is Thurnscoe Near Rotherham, our council tax area is Barnsley and the council boundaries change occasionally as Doncaster and Barnsley council fight over who will keep the boundaries clear of rubbish, we used to come under West Riding (Wakefield) when we had Ridings, our nearest hospital is Mexborough its 5 miles away yet comes under Doncaster. Just a mile up the road is Hickleton n yes that's under Doncaster, a short walk over our local field is Clayton and that's under Doncaster council, nearest refuse place is ours in village 5 minutes by car but Clayton folk have to travel to Doncaster to their "local" one a 20 mins drive....are you confused well now you see how we are!!!! a confused lot, no wonder I can't find my granny x Greta

We aren't in Rotherham but if you imagine our village Thurnscoe its 8 mile approx. from Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster with us at the centre point so to speak, our phone area code and post code is a Sheffield code s63, when we write a letter our village address is Thurnscoe Near Rotherham, our council tax area is Barnsley and the council boundaries change occasionally as Doncaster and Barnsley council fight over who will keep the boundaries clear of rubbish, we used to come under West Riding (Wakefield) when we had Ridings, our nearest hospital is Mexborough its 5 miles away yet comes under Doncaster. Just a mile up the road is Hickleton n yes that's under Doncaster, a short walk over our local field is Clayton and that's under Doncaster council, nearest refuse place is ours in village 5 minutes by car but Clayton folk have to travel to Doncaster to their "local" one a 20 mins drive....are you confused well now you see how we are!!!! a confused lot, no wonder I can't find my granny x Greta
oh another thing, Horace and Elizabeth on marriage cert it says married in Rotherham District, we did at on time have a register office in Bolton upon Dearne which is two villages away heading in the Mexborough direction, my birth was Registered there and it states Mexborough Urban District. when born in Mexborough you are automatically registered in Doncaster which comes under Nottingham for some reason...should we go through confused .com perhaps mmmm who decides these things

As you mention Wakefield did you see the death registered there for an Amelia Annie Owen Jun qtr of 1929? I know it's her maiden and the age is way out but things can get confused and it's about the right time.

Also had a quick look and couldn't find anyone obvious it might be.

With nothing else to go on it might be worth a look.
[/QU
Grandfather Horace came to Yorkshire because all the family had moved up here from the Forest of Dean some years earlier, they settled in the area and that is where he met Elizabeth Stones and married her, he then went into the York and Lancs regiment and went with the B.E.F. to France on returning home he found that Elizabeth had moved a chap in. Grandfather left and lived with various family members until he went to Birmingham area where he met Amelia my granny. Elizabeth and the chap stayed together, marrying after my grandfathers death in 1936,

Juat thought as well, Amelia had been married to Joseph Jones and they had produced a daughter Sylvia Millicent and a son George Edward Jones, when my grandfather Horace and Amelia got together the last address for them that I have is 40 Featherstone Avenue Featherstone Wolverhampton, they were definitely there in 1928 when my mother Constance was born, after this I cant prove an address, my grandfathers siblings confirmed that my mother was about 18 months when Horace brought her to Yorkshire with her sister Greta. I found whereabouts of Amelia and Joseph Jones son, he had died in 1986 however his wife remembered him going to live with other family after his mother Amelia died, when he was 16, this all points to 1929-30,she also said Sylvia had died as well we, George went to live with Amelia's sister Gladys, I am in contact with Glady's daughter who is trying to find anything she can to unlock the mystery of Amelia's death, I am so grateful that you are making time to look as well, it is something that has baffled me for years I have looked through records under Owen, Jones and also Chivers, She was still in the name Jones at the Featherstone site as I have confirmation of this from school records for Sylvia and George, so I am concentrating my search for her as Amelia Jones....not many of them about eh!!!

I think I may have found her death under the name Amelia Robinson in June quarter 1931 Nuneaton 5d 654 aged 36.

In December quarter 1913 Amelia married Joseph Jones Nuneaton 6d 1232

Amelia Jones married Albert E Robinson in December quarter 1915 Doncaster 9c 2017.

I have no idea what happened to Joseph Jones at the moment though.

I found Constance's birth certificate on Find My Past and it states mother as Amelia Ann Chivers, late Robinson, formally Owen, which led me to this.

Let me know if you don't have this certificate and i will post it here. Horace's birth certificate is also there if you would like it. It was amongst Horace's war records on FMP.

Last edited:
I think I may have found her death under the name Amelia Robinson in June quarter 1931 Nuneaton 5d 654 aged 36.

In December quarter 1913 Amelia married Joseph Jones Nuneaton 6d 1232

Amelia Jones married Albert E Robinson in December quarter 1915 Doncaster 9c 2017.

I have no idea what happened to Joseph Jones at the moment though.

I found Constance's birth certificate on Find My Past and it states mother as Amelia Ann Chivers, late Robinson, formally Owen, which led me to this death.

Let me know if you don't have this certificate and i will post it here. Horace's birth certificate is also there if you would like it. It was amongst Horace's war records on FMP.
Hi there, I do have the birth cert.for my Aunt Greta born march 15 1927 and Amelia is the informant she gives her name as Amelia Chivers late Jones Formerly Owen ( Amelia calling herself Chivers although not married to Horace ) I think it was for decency sake, in 1928 my mother Constance was born 10 May and on her birth cert it is Horace who is the informant, yes he states mothers name as Amelia Ann Chivers late Robinson formerly Owen, as you see, I have tried looking for the Robinson connection too, however Amelia did have two other children by her husband Joseph Jones she married him in Dec. 1913, Amelia had a son George Edward Owen on 30th November 1914 then a daughter Sylvia Millicent in 1916 they are both in Jones surname. I don't have a clue why Horace mentioned the name Robinson, when George at 14 yrs and Sylvia at 12yrs attended school the school records state parents as Amelia Jones and Horace (no surname for Horace ) this would take it to 1928 Amelia was calling herself Chivers and stating it on my aunt and mothers birth certs. however for the two older children at school her surname was Jones, I will check out the Robinson death that you found. thank you it really is lovely to have someone else helping, ive been looking for so long, regards, Greta

Hi there, I do have the birth cert.for my Aunt Greta born march 15 1927 and Amelia is the informant she gives her name as Amelia Chivers late Jones Formerly Owen ( Amelia calling herself Chivers although not married to Horace ) I think it was for decency sake, in 1928 my mother Constance was born 10 May and on her birth cert it is Horace who is the informant, yes he states mothers name as Amelia Ann Chivers late Robinson formerly Owen, as you see, I have tried looking for the Robinson connection too, however Amelia did have two other children by her husband Joseph Jones she married him in Dec. 1913, Amelia had a son George Edward Owen on 30th November 1914 then a daughter Sylvia Millicent in 1916 they are both in Jones surname. I don't have a clue why Horace mentioned the name Robinson, when George at 14 yrs and Sylvia at 12yrs attended school the school records state parents as Amelia Jones and Horace (no surname for Horace ) this would take it to 1928 Amelia was calling herself Chivers and stating it on my aunt and mothers birth certs. however for the two older children at school her surname was Jones, I will check out the Robinson death that you found. thank you it really is lovely to have someone else helping, ive been looking for so long, regards, Greta
also I have some ministry of defence info for Horace however I tried looking for pension details as I have ancestry but it took me to a link to do another paid membership, I was a little shocked as I pay for ancestry monthly and have mixed results

Hi Greta, I can send you what there is regarding his military records that are on FMP if you would like a copy; just send me your email address by private message. Unfortunately they are very damaged. I have updated Horace's Silver war badge details on Ancestry, which were transcribed as Horace Charles; so you should be able to find that record now.

A question for you though. Have you found the birth registration or got the birth certificate for Sylvia Millicent Jones with mmn Owen? I can't find one anywhere, but have found one who may fit just thought I'd check with you first.

In my own family there was different names used for decency sake. It drives me nuts, but it was a difficult time for mums then and they did what was necessary to protect their children and themselves I guess. I picture them all laughing at me when I'm trying to untangle the webs they wove. Hey ho it keeps me occupied. Josie

Hi Greta, I can send you what there is regarding his military records that are on FMP if you would like a copy; just send me your email address by private message. Unfortunately they are very damaged. I have updated Horace's Silver war badge details on Ancestry, which were transcribed as Horace Charles; so you should be able to find that record now.

A question for you though. Have you found the birth registration or got the birth certificate for Sylvia Millicent Jones with mmn Owen? I can't find one anywhere, but have found one who may fit just thought I'd check with you first.

In my own family there was different names used for decency sake. It drives me nuts, but it was a difficult time for mums then and they did what was necessary to protect their children and themselves I guess. I picture them all laughing at me when I'm trying to untangle the webs they wove. Hey ho it keeps me occupied. Josie
Hello Josie, funnily enough I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for Sylvia M Jones. I have had details of her being at school at age 12. Several years ago I was in contact with a Mr Bill Kemp from Staffordshire area, he was a former detective in the police force, it turned out he is related to my Grandfather Horace Chivers, anyhow he did some research for me and contacted his friend who was head of local school where George and Sylvia attended, he passed the information to me. I then asked the Salvation Army for advice as they will trace persons that could possibly be still alive, they confirmed that George had died, I sent for death cert. and the informant of death was George's daughter Ann Cowpe. I then went to our library and looked through the phone book for Preston, where George had lived for a while and also died there. I rang George's daughter Ann and she came to stay with us for the weekend, she had made a collection of photos f her father George but didn't know anything about his mother Amelia, she said her father rarely spoke of any family, on returning home she questioned her mother and asked about Sylvia, the answer was that Sylvia had died. Now the thing is I cant find a death for Sylvia. Its very intriguing, at least my Mother did get to meet Ann, It was really funny because I was able to tell her more about her dad than she knew, as you say, why do they do this.
I hope this helps, I really am grateful for the help as sometimes feel like It's me just not looking at the right information
regards Greta

Back