• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Johnstone Street, Lozells

Sandie52

Brummie babby
I was looking for information about 10 Johnstone Street, Lozells, Birmingham. I went past the road with my son a few years back, and the flat, mentioned above, was no longer there. The Brickwork looked the same and so did the chimneys, but now there are houses in place of the flats. Did they pull the flats down? I know those flats were only completed in the 1950's, so what happened to them? Also one of my neighbouring families while living there, was William and Beatty Smith and their children, Gillian, Bill and Kevin and a few more. I would love to be able to find out what happened to them.
Thank you so much
Sandi

Comparing the modern view/map with the 1950s map there appear to be some additions and a few demolitions (by the main road) but most of the 1950s buildings still seem to be in their original places, so maybe a makeover rather than a rebuild?

Tricky to trace Smith with any certainty, online ERs have William & Beatrice at 14 Johnstone St from the late 50s and Carol as well in 1965 (last online ER).

I know I was originally a Smith too. We actually moved from number 10 to Number 18 so you may find me listed there too. My parents were Roy and Julie. Thank you for delving into this for me. Sandi

Although not relevant to the query I found these on another thread and thought they should be here. St. Paul's Church can be seen in the background. The malthouse is also on the 1889 map.

Attachments

• malthouse1.jpg
    malthouse1.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 21
  • malthouse2.jpg
    malthouse2.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 25
  • johnstone-st-1950s-map.jpg
    johnstone-st-1950s-map.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 28
  • johnstone-st-malthouse-2020.jpg
    johnstone-st-malthouse-2020.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 22
  • malthouse-aerial-1920.jpg
    malthouse-aerial-1920.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 22
Those are great photos. Thank you for putting them up. They did bring back some memories. Thanks again, Sandi

Those are great photos. Thank you for putting them up. They did bring back some memories. Thanks again, Sandi
Welcome to the forum Sandi, I find it fascinating that a malthouse existed there in the 1800s, luckily part of it is still standing, just a pity the majority of it was lost.

It is really still standing, that is amazing. I have not been back to Birmingham now since 2016, I normally live in Idaho, USA, so I am completely out of touch with everything now. I did notice when I was there last, that a lot of the old familiar buildings have been torn down, which is such a pity. I must get in touch with Birmingham Archives,if you know their address that will be great, to get some old maps. Regards Sandi

Although not relevant to the query I found these on another thread and thought they should be here. St. Paul's Church can be seen in the background. The malthouse is also on the 1889 map.
That picture with the Transit Van is outside what in the 1960s was Wards Transport, I believe Mr Ward owned the two buildings either side of the entrance and the yard. The left hand side building was occupied by a trade carpet warehouse called Mercado Carpets of Leeds who still trade in the north of England to this day. The manager was Peter. That’s Mr Wards car on the right hand side. Anymore info on this building?

The Transit on the left was purchased from Bristol Street Motors and was one of the first Transit Vans in Birmingham.

Can anyone confirm these two companies from a trade directory please?

Last edited:
That picture with the Transit Van is outside what in the 1960s was Wards Transport, I believe Mr Ward owned the two buildings either side of the entrance and the yard. The left hand side building was occupied by a trade carpet warehouse called Mercado Carpets of Leeds who still trade in the north of England to this day. The manager was Peter. That’s Mr Wards car on the right hand side. Anymore info on this building?

The Transit on the left was purchased from Bristol Street Motors and was one of the first Transit Vans in Birmingham.

Can anyone confirm these two companies from a trade directory please?
From Kelly's 1964.
1673902754143.png

crikey john just caught up with your post.. ages ago i guessed that nearby malthouse gardens (previously wilton st) was named after an old malthouse but up until now did not know it was in johnstone st and to boot the ajoining house is still there or if i did know i had forgotten...cheers john just in case ive saved the photos and just found out a bit more of our history

malthouse gardens below

lyn

All the times I was in that Malt House and never had any idea of what it was, it did seem a dark place, long and elevated, you had to climb the wooden steps just past the entrance to get into it.

There were quite a few. Very often they were originally separate firms to the brewery and were not necessarily very close to the brewery they supplied

Yes I seem to have vaguely heard that before but surely that would seem to make many pubs very big buildings occupying a large area of land. Any examples of old Birmingham pubs with attached malthouses?

Back