• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John Street Lozells

stevencath11

master brummie
Hi There,

Just wanted to know if anyone has any photographs of John Street in Lozells before it was knocked down and re-developed in the 1960's as my family ran a pub on John Street called Sportsman Inn.
Thanks Cath

hi cath are you sure the pub was in john st lozells because i lived in villa st just round the corner from john st from 58 to 72 and i cant recall a pub called the sportsman being there...also the street has not been redeveloped they have only built about 6 new houses and have smartened up the older houses that have always been there..i have also checked the kellys directories and can find no evidence of any pub at all ever being in john st lozells...

ps the was also a john st that was off newtown row which was completely demolished in the 60s...could this be the john st you want...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,

Thanks for your reply, I have census records dating from 1881 -1911 with the address down as John Street Lozells
(ref no RG14 Piece no 182720 is off the 1911 census it was in the parish of Aston Manor.
As you lived just round the corner you may be right, I will look into the John Street off Newtown row thanks for your help.

Cath

hi cath ..hang on a sec i will look at an earlier kellys i have as i didnt know the years you had rellies in john st..could you give me the name of your rellies please that had the sportsman pub.

lyn

sorry cath im getting mixed up now lol..it was new john st off newtown row not john st as i said earlier...ive looked at the 1911 and 1913 kellys for john st lozells and i still cant find a sportsman pub being there..however at no 39 there is a william glew listed as beer retailer but still no sportsman listed..

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply,
The family tree records that i have at the moment show Maria Glew ran the Sportsman Inn from 1891 and then moved to run The Barley Mow in Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield in 1901. In the meantime her son William Glew took over running the Sportsman Inn he ran it between 1901 to 1921 I have no other records after this time maybe you can help. Thanks Cath

hi cath well that confirms my earlier post then ..as i said i have checked a couple of kellys directories for 1911 and 1913 and it does say william glew at 39 john st but only as a beer retailer which means he most likely sold ale from his front room..many did..im just wondering if no 39 was turned into a pub and called the sportsman sometime after 1913..this happened to the pub in villa st where i lived..its a bit late now but i will see what i can find out tomorrow for you as its not like me not to know a pub from my neck o the woods...

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for that, I have not looked on the Kelly's directories but my 1911 census from Ancestry has William Glew down as a Brewer & Publican and the Sportsman Inn listed, hope to hear from you soon with any information.
Cath

well william certainly was a beer retailer in john st lozells cath but i cant work out why kelly do not list no 39 as the sportsman inn..will have a look at the 1911 census..

lyn

hi cath..yes you are quite right..just looked at the 1911 census and it definately says the sportsman inn at john st lozells..this must be a pub that passed me by as i thought i had a pic of all the pubs in that area..will have to ask our dad about this one and will also try to find you a pic of it...and at least you know that the street has not been totally demolished..

mike if you see this post i wonder if we could have a map please showing where the sportsman pub was..
ive got a feeling it was where they have built a small row of new houses...

many thanks mike..

lyn

Last edited:
Beer retailer can mean one of two things, an off licence or a small pub , usually a beerhouse (ie it had a licence to sell only beer , and I think cider). It would seem the Sportsman was a beerhouse. The electoral roll does not list no 39 in 1912, but William & Elizabeth Glew are listed there 1920 and with a younger and elder william in 1922. In 1925 for some reason it is not listed, but different family (Moorfield & Watts) are there in 1927.
The Sportsman is shown in red on the c 1889 map below.

map_c_1889_john_st_lozells_showing_no_39_2C_The_Sportsman.jpg

thanks for the map mike...as i suspected no 39 was where a block of new houses stand..on the map you will see wellington terrace well thats still there..i was in john st earlir this year and took some pics...i also note that in 1932/33 and 36 number 39 is not listed in kellys either as a pub or beer retailer so i think finding a pic of this one may prove difficult..also noted on the map the queens head corner of george st and john st..maybe possable to find a pic of that one for my collection...

cath i will try and find you an old pic of john st..

lyn

Last edited:
happy to help cath..will be in touch if i find any pics of interest to you..

lyn

Lyn
The electoral roll lists a building labelled no 39 till 1955, though i suspect that the time in 1925 when it was not listed in the rolls was when it was being converted from a pub

mike thanks for that info as you know i am not subscribed to the e rolls so that is useful to know..if 39 was still there in 55 that gives me more of a chance to find a pic of the building..

cheers

lyn

just been on the BARRA site and no 39 john street suffered and air raid on 22nd nov 1940..a henry edward donally was injured but not killed...also on 26th sept 1940 an emily dalton was injured at no 11 wellington terrace..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
I have just logged back in and the map Mike sent is not showing on the thread do you think he could resend the image so i can save it.
Thanks Cath

Cath
It is showing for me also, though, as i posted it, i am not quite in the same position. People have been able to see their own posts in the past when other forum members can't . Let me know if its still giving trouble

Cath
May be nothing, but by chance I came across this from Birmingham Post 8.9.1862, and a Maria Glew married to a William Glew , when you were interested in a Maria with a son William looked a bit more than a coincidence.

Birm_Post_8_9_1862.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the newspaper cutting that is great I had no idea there was a record of there marriage in the paper.
Cheers Cath

Hi, My name is Myriam and my grandmother was Margaret Elizabeth Glew. She lived at the Barley Mow in Mere Green as a child. Her parents were William and Rose Glew (Mullins). It is so exciting to read all of your posts. I am confused with so many William Glews! It is almost asthough Rose and Elizabeth were the same person because William and Elizabeth my Nan was born in 1913 so it would tie in. Could she have been Elizabeth Rose Mullins? Out of interest, what is your link to the family? Perhaps we are related?? Thanks, Myriam
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the newspaper cutting that is great I had no idea there was a record of there marriage in the paper.
Cheers Cath

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has found any photographs of The Sportsman Inn I was looking for.
I am visiting the library in a few weeks, do you know if they have pub records/photographs
available to view ?

Thanks Cath

Hi
Just wanted to know if anyone has come across a photo of the sportman inn pub which was in John Street as I haven't been able to find one as yet ?
Thanks Cath

hi cath ive been after a photo for ages of that pub but no luck so far...will post if i do find you one

lyn

Back