• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

John "Hammer" Lane

BELGRAVE

proper brummie kid
I would welcome information about the celebrated Birmingham Bare-knuckle Champion John (or Jack) "Hammer" Lane who fought one of his contests in Shirley in 1835, and later became a publican (like many ex- ringmen) in Birmingham.

Don't know if any of these are of interest:

Birm_post_29_6_1864

Birm_post_1_2_1864.jpg

Birm_Gazette_22_8_1865.jpg

Birm_Daily_gazette_29_8_1865.jpg

There was a James Lane, a well known Birmingham pugilist, who may have been a relative of the more famous John "Hammer" Lane but was of a different character altogether. James, who had appropriated the nom de ring "Hammer", appears in the Birmingham Post of 01 Oct 1886 on a charge of brutal assault on a police constable -- he was found to have in his possession a brass knuckle-duster of a pound in weight. He used his boots on the constable as he was on the ground, something the greater man John would surely never do.

,I thought from his name he was 'Hammer' because of his fists but
John Lane baptised December 15th 1815 ?St Peter Wolverhampton parents William and Hannah

1851 Bartholomew Street,the home of William Lane age 37

John Lane age 35 b. Wolverhampton, Hammer maker,brother

1861 Duddeston Row
John Lane age 45 Hammer maker b, Wolverhampton
Mary age 36 wife b. Birmingham

Last edited:
I too thought "Hammer" was a reference to his fists. I saw a reference to him likened to a "jackhammer", so it may be a bit of both. I had looked on Ancestry for family info but had taken too literally that he was born in Birmingham. No wonder the Black Country folks get miffed with us Brummies.

Back