• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Joe Beresford. Aston Villa - Club Houses/lodgings

Pongo

proper brummie kid
Dean Beresford here, grandson of 1920s/30s Villa player Joe.

I'm researching Joe's life/career and am looking for details on where he lived when he first arrived in Aston. I believe he was first put in lodgings by the club at 66 Witton Lane (May 1927) and I think Eric Houghton also lodged here when he arrived in August 1927.

I've also heard that he might have lodged in Nelson Road too. Can anyone confirm this or offer any other information on The Villa's club houses (I know that Jimmy Gibson and his wife were given a club-owned house in Edgbaston to live when they first arrived in Brum).

Joe then married Ivy Palfreyman of Aston Lane in 1931 and their first house was on Davey Road. Number? Rented or owned?

They then moved to The Broadway. I know that in 1935 Joe owned number 224 but I also heard that he owned TWO properties on The Broadway.

Joe signed for Preston North End in September 1935 where he spent a couple of years and then on to Swansea but returned to Brum in 1938 and ran the fish & chip shop up by The Deers Leap. He then became a publican for Ansells running a succession of pubs, starting with The Witton Hotel on Moor Lane (now The Safe Harbour); The Cock Inn on Brasshouse Lane (by The Hawthorns); The Saddlers Arms, Aldridge Road, Perry Barr and finally The New Inn on Newton Road. I am unsure on dates though.

Any help or a point-in-the-right-direction would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dean

Pongo.....I can tell you that there was a Joseph Beresford living at number 66 Witton Lane in 1927, and 919 Queslett Road in 1950, there was an Ivy and a William Beresford living at 209 The Broadway in 1935, and Ivy was listed at 919 Queslett Road in 1945 and 1950......all data taken from a well known ancestry site.......

Back