• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jimmy Aspley, 3/Worcs, Kia 27/11/14

Ken Wayman

proper brummie kid
My wife's great uncle, Private JHH (Jimmy) Aspley, served with 3/Worcestershire in the BEF and was killed in action near Lindenhoek (close to Kemmel and just south of the Ypres Salient) on 27th November 1914.

He has no known grave and is recorded on the Menin Gate.

I've long wondered whether his death was mentioned in one of the Brum papers. Can anyone offer any pointers please?

Cheers

They were sometimes mentioned in local papers like The Birmingham Post. You can view local papers at Central Library they are on microfilm. There is a WW1 forum that may be able to help you.:)

Hi Ken

The 16th January 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald has the following entry.

Killed in Action at Lindenhok

13266 Pte J. Aspley on Nov 27

Also

25th September 1915 edition

Killed

13266 Pte J. Aspley - 3rd Battalion

I have checked through the Worcestershires War Diary but I can not find a reference to Lindenhok or to what the 3rd were doing on the 27th Nov. If you follow this link it will take you to the Worcestershire Regiment Forum where you will get more help. https://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/forum

Hope this helps

Regards Allan

The battalion war diary says only "27 November: in trenches, E Lindenhoek. Some shelling of trenches. 1 killed 3 wounded".

It was a relatively quiet time, the First Battle of Ypres having died down and the battalion was just holding the front line. It was relieved next day.

By the way, the diary is available via DocumentsOnline at the National Archives website.

Hi Allan

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to find our Jimmy in the local paper. We didn't hold out much hope as the family was poor and would not have been able to contribute.

I'm in town next week and will read the info - our family will be well pleased (and I'm only the 'outsider'!!).

I do have 3/Worcesters' war diary copied from their arrival with the BEF to the end of November 1914. The following is a direct quotation from it:-

25/11 Relieved Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry in trenches to the east of Lindenhoek at 8 p.m. 26/11 in trenches. Some shelling – two other ranks wounded. 27/11 in trenches to the east of Lindenhoek; some shelling. Rank and file one killed and three wounded.”

Many thanks also for the link to the Worcesters' Regimental Museum - I'll certainly try it.

Best regards

Ken

Hi Chris
Many thanks for your kind reply - as you can see from my previous post I do have a couple of months' extracts from 3/Worcesters' War Diary. As Jimmy was never found, the family has 'adopted' an 'unknown' Worcester's grave of the approximate date in Kemmel Chateau Cemetery. At least some poor lad who gave his life is benefiting.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

The following is taken from 'The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War' by Captain H. FitzM. Stacke M.C. page53:

The 3rd Battalion of the Regiment spent the winter months in trenches or billets (a) on the high ground which devides the valley of the river Lys from the low lands about Ypres. In that area during the heavy fighting of October and November the enemy had stormed the Messines Ridge. The British front line then ran across the neck of high ground which stretches from Mount Kemmel eastward to Wytschaeta, and the forward trenches ran close to the underfeature on whichthen stood the Spanbrook Mill. In that area the Battalion was destined to meet its bitterest reverseand later to gain its most natable success.

(a) November 26th-29thth front line trenches near Spanbrook Mill- Casualties, 2 killed, 8 wounded.

Regards

peter

Evening Peter

Thanks so much for digging out the relevant sections of the Regimental History '14-'18. That gives me a lot more detail than I previously possessed in respect of the location of Jimmy's unit when he was killed. I do know the area around the Pool of Peace at Spanbroekmolen and I've walked that area - little did I know I was close to where our Jimmy met his untimely and youthful end.

I'm in your debt.

Best regards

Ken

Hi

What was your wife's grandfather's name?

Our Jimmy was a member of 'D' Company if that gives any clues. It's a fascinating thought that they might have been mates!

And thank you for the link.

Best regards

Ken

Hi Nick

That's intriguing. Jimmy lived in Sheep Street, Gosta Green so they probably didn't know each other before joining the Worcesters. Though, both having survived the long, exhausting retreat from Mons, they had probably come across each other under the harshest of circumstances.

Even if they did not meet in life, which is unlikely, they remain close together on the Worcesters' panel on the Menin Gate - Aspley and Box. It's something of a comforting thought.

Thank you for your information and ideas.

Best regards

Ken

Ken

Just in case you haven't been there here are a couple of photos of the Menin Gate, I have not long returned from there, did a Battlefield Tour with Leger, absolutely super.

My Granddad was killed on 31st Oct 1914 at the battle of Gheluvelt he served with 1st Glosters.

Many thanks for those - nice to see the Menin Gate in sunshine. I do have photos of the memorial, including our Jimmy's name on the Worcesters' panel.

Ypres is a wonderful place, isn't it? We go there every other Easter or October - it's like a magnet. There's quite a few of the lads from my village, Pelsall in 'Staffordshire', whose names appear on the memorial; there are also some at Tyne Cot and Ploegsteert in the Salient.

I trust you caught the 'Last Post' - those silver bugles always send a cold tingle down my neck.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Best regards

Ken

PS: I forgot to ask - have you found out much about your grandad? If you haven't, please send me his name and anything else you have and I'll do some research - should be a few sources available.

Hi Ken

Not sure how much information you have on Jimmy Aspley. If it is of any help he is remembered in the book 'The Roll of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War', The book was printed to commerate the opening of Birmingham Hall of Memory so his name will listed there. Other info I have on him James Henry Herbert Aspley Pte KIA 27/11/1914 aged 19. Born Winchester, enlisted Birmingham. Son of Annie Agnes Aspley 6 Sheep Street Gosta Green, Bham. Father the late Henry Herbert Aspley.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Many thanks for the info on Jimmy in respect of the book and the Hall of Memory - I had no idea about that.

I did have the other info from 'Soldiers Died' and from CWGC but thank you anyway for offering it.

I have all the info from 3/Worcestershire war diary in respect of the date he died and I have visited the Menin Gate to photograph the Worcesters' section and Jimmy's name but I have virtually no info of his life locally.

Thanks again

Ken

Hi Ken I know it's been a long time since you posted this but I've only recently started looking into our family tree.
James Henry Herbert Aspley was my mothers uncle, his younger brother George was my mothers father. I have more information if you would like to contact me that would be great.

My wife's great uncle, Private JHH (Jimmy) Aspley, served with 3/Worcestershire in the BEF and was killed in action near Lindenhoek (close to Kemmel and just south of the Ypres Salient) on 27th November 1914.

He has no known grave and is recorded on the Menin Gate.

I've long wondered whether his death was mentioned in one of the Brum papers. Can anyone offer any pointers please?

Cheers
Hi Ken,
You said James was your wives great uncle, well he was also my great uncle. His brother George Aspley was my mums father. We have a little bit of information about the family history but are still in te process of searching for more. It would be great if we could share the info we each have.
Dawn

Back