• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

jennings Julia

LADY LEAVER

master brummie
Please can anyone help.

JULIA JENNINGS was born in 1847 - her father's name was THOMAS, (on marriage certificate).
JULIA married JOHN LEAVER in January 1872 and their daughter, MARY ANN, was born later that year.

I can't find JULIA on any census, either before or after her marriage. 1881 and 1891 JOHN, with their daughter, MARY ANN, are living with his mother, SARAH LEAVER (no mention of JULIA).

1901 JOHN is living with HANNAH HARRISON with their twin sons, THOMAS and GEORGE (my father), born 1898. I can't find a marriage but HANNAH registered the twins, stating her name as LEAVER and on her death certificate (1928) it states, WIDOW OF JOHN LEAVER (he died in 1910).

I can't find a death record for JULIA.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards
Shirley

Re: Julia jennings

Hi Shirley

I have hunted high and low but can't find her. Something told me to look in the papers, and I wonder if this is her?

Bham Daily Post Tuesday July 27th 1880
Lost & Found
"Left home on the 30th August 1879 Julia Leaver; height 4ft 10"; dark red hair; wart on left side of nose; four front teeth out at top. - Please forward information to Sarah Leaver, No. 7 court, 8 house, Ingleby Street, Spring Hill, Birmingham."

regards
Suzanne

Wow Suzanne, this would certainly be a good explanation. Obviously there's no way I could know what Julia looked like but Sarah was her mother-in-law's name and if she wasn't ever found that would explain why she wasn't mentioned in subsequent census'.

Thank you so much.

Regards
Shirley

Hi Suzanne,

I have just thought, what a pity her age wasn't mentioned - that would have clinched it.

Shirley

What a great piece of detective work now we are all wondering what happened to Julia...how sad!

Hi Shirley

I have hunted high and low but can't find her. Something told me to look in the papers, and I wonder if this is her?

Bham Daily Post Tuesday July 27th 1880
Lost & Found
"Left home on the 30th August 1879 Julia Leaver; height 4ft 10"; dark red hair; wart on left side of nose; four front teeth out at top. - Please forward information to Sarah Leaver, No. 7 court, 8 house, Ingleby Street, Spring Hill, Birmingham."

regards
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Please will you tell me where I can access newspapers?

Thanks
Shirley

Back