• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jenkins William ?

star43

master brummie
I have William Jenkins (b 1801) in the 1841 census living with his wife Elizabeth in St. Thomas, Birmingham. By 1851 he has died, Elizabeth continues to live in the district of St. Thomas until somewhere beween 1871-1881. I am trying to find William's death and have 5 possibilities!!!!! Not wanting to really send off for all these death cetificates, I wondered whether living in St.Thomas the death would be listed in Aston or Birmingham? Anyone have any idea? S x

Re: Which William Jenkins?

That's odd, this sounds like my own Great Great Great Grandfather and I've come to a standstill too here as you can't go further back with censuses. William had a son called John Jenkins, who had a son called Frederick, who had a son called Claud who was my grandad

My connection to William Jenkins is through his daughter Mary Ann Jenkins who would have been the sister of John. I did eventually find the death of William in 1849. I have John's wife as Catherine Slanley - Is that correct with the information you have?

I came to a stand-still at William Jenkins as the censuses only go as far back as 1841. Did you go any further back? His wife was Elizabeth but I don't know her maiden name. Your relative and my great, great grandfather John were brother and sister then. Catherine Slaney is John's wife, I ordered the marriage certificate. However, Catherine Slaney is a bit of an enigma and I cannot find any trace of her prior to marrying my GG grandfather in any censusus or any birth records. The marriage certificate gives little away. Her father's name is Thomas and they married in Edgbaston, however, I cannot trace any Thomas Slaney either and I cannot read his occupation and the writing is very poor.

I'm not sure if you are a Jenkins but my mother and all her cousins have a distinctive type of darker colouring around their eyes - I call them 'panda eyes'. John and Catherine had 14 children including Frederick who is my great grandad and they had 7 children so my mom still has some living cousins in their eighties.

1851 Latimer Street south

Thomas Slaney ,Brass founder age given on the original as 31 but he is definately the father of the eldest child Susannah she was baptised in St Martin 1830
so probably 41.
Mary age 40 wife
Susannah 20 daughter
Catherine 17 daughter
Joseph 9 son
Thomas 4 grandson

found them in 1841 William Street.
Thomas age 40 Brass founder
Mary 40
Thomas 15
Maria 15
William 14
Susannah 11
Catherine 7
James 2

Last edited:
Fantastic information. No wonder I couldn't find them on the 1851 census, it has their surname as Haney. I couldn't find them on the 1841 census despite the information given but all the info you've provided all matches up. I think William Street is somewhere behind Broad Street?

Hi Bev,,you are correct with William Street placement,,,it is just behind Broad Street near Holiday Street &
Bishopgate Street,,,quite up-market with improvements (Canal area) & posh living flats etc.
!850,s & upwards was very different, back-to-backs etc,
Good luck in your researching,,,John

Bev,I think the transcribers who did the 1841/1851 were a bit tipsy Haney in 51,Daney in 41 but quite clearly Slaney on the original copies.

Back