• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jeff Lynne

Smashing interview on Radio WM with lots of local interest, the mention of Pimple Hill made Michael laugh. Well done Jeff https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tqm7r
Hello Wendy, I just trawled the forum for Jeff Lynne and this came up. I didn't see the prgramme but my son in law (of sorts ) was talking about him. He knew/knew of him/followed him in a Brummie band before ELO and I have forgotten the name. He sometimes used to play with said band at the Sportsmans Arms, Birmingham Rd, Coventry. It came up in our conversation as I have been wearing a finger splint nearly 2 months now but I can still strum a bit. I was told Jeff Lynne lost a finger tip and had a prosthetic tip so he could play. Did you hear of this? Best Wishes, Nico.

I believe Jeff was in Idle Race prior to joining Move and then to ELO. Excellent album, Skeleton and the Roundabout.
The guy with a finger tip missing was Tony Iommi, Black Sabeth.

Jeff Lynne's main claim to fame is that he went to the same school as me, at the same time.:peaceful:

No I did'nt know them personaly, but I remember Jeff and his mate (who could have been JC) making a guitar at the boys club. There is a picture somewhere of Jeff's class. I will try and find it.

I believe Jeff was in Idle Race prior to joining Move and then to ELO. Excellent album, Skeleton and the Roundabout.
The guy with a finger tip missing was Tony Iommi, Black Sabeth.

I will pass it on about the finger not being Jeff's. It must have been Idle Race the band name I know it was a strange name. I will see what he says.

As promised, here is a school photo with JL ringed.

Attachments

• jeff-lynne-school-1962.jpg
    jeff-lynne-school-1962.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 62
cracking photo terry....wonder if JL has a copy if not i bet he would love one...

thanks for posting it

lyn

Ha Ha love it I will pass it on to my friend who is married to one of the original Idle Race. They visit Jeff in the U.S. so can pass it on.

Maybe The Idle Race remember playing at The Sportsmans Arms Coventry? I am told it was a recurring gig. I went there regularly later on in the 70's to see B'ham DJ Bilbo Baggins.

cracking photo terry....wonder if JL has a copy if not i bet he would love one...

thanks for posting it

lyn

I just done a search on google and it came up. He was in the year below me so I dont recognise any of his classmates. I know the teacher though, Mr Tipton.

There was a good documentary on last night on BBC 4 about JL. It is available on catch up, just checked. I never knew Del Shannon came to his house in Shard End.

Back