• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jazz Clubs

Does this work?

If not, try using the search function on You Tube. I would image you are familiar with the album, A Tribute to Madge.

Did you ever see them live?
I’ll try the search function, thank you!

Yes, I did see them live…..My favorites were SCJ, Chi’s Barber, Acker Bilk, but I liked most Trad including Lonnie Donnegan (sp). I also love Modern MJQ, Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck Etc. I actually love most good well played jazz.

I saw the SCJ at least 6 or 8 times (money was scares for me), one notable time I believe (old memories not working that well) was on a jazz boat from Liverpool to the Isle of Man and back. We took the train from Snow Hill, it was music all day. I don’t remember the other venues but in and around Birmingham on my BSA.

I’ll try the search function, thank you!

Yes, I did see them live…..My favorites were SCJ, Chi’s Barber, Acker Bilk, but I liked most Trad including Lonnie Donnegan (sp). I also love Modern MJQ, Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck Etc. I actually love most good well played jazz.

I saw the SCJ at least 6 or 8 times (money was scares for me), one notable time I believe (old memories not working that well) was on a jazz boat from Liverpool to the Isle of Man and back. We took the train from Snow Hill, it was music all day. I don’t remember the other venues but in and around Birmingham on my BSA.
Oh wow! I didn’t know about the jazz boat.That’s really interesting! Thank you. Could you put a rough guess on when that would have been?

Oh wow! I didn’t know about the jazz boat.That’s really interesting! Thank you. Could you put a rough guess on when that would have been?
Tried to look it up, no luck. I would say ‘59 to ‘61 when I went. It was one price for the train and ferry, beer and whatever else you paid extra for. When we got to IOM about half the people got off for a half hour and back to the ferry for Liverpool and the train to wherever you were from. I do remember the ferry’s were always full regardless of the weather. Hope that helps!

Back