• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jay Blades : The Midlands Through Time

Last Friday night I watched 'The Graham Norton Show' on BBC 1 . Jay Blades was one of his guests. He bravely talked about all his personal problems in 2017 and his move to Wolverhampton. He was greatly helped by one particular person in Wolverhampton to get back on his feet who was in the audience. It was heart warming and emotional interview. Now amazing what all he has achieved since 2017

Last Friday night I watched 'The Graham Norton Show' on BBC 1 . Jay Blades was one of his guests. He bravely talked about all his personal problems in 2017 and his move to Wolverhampton. He was greatly helped by one particular person in Wolverhampton to get back on his feet who was in the audience. It was heart warming and emotional interview. Now amazing what all he has achieved since 2017
thats what i said earlier on in the thread...jay has done really well considering his lifes hurdles

lyn

Last edited:
I watched this show also and could see from Jay's emotions that he would be eternally grateful to the person in the audience. Jay used to live in Wolverhampton, he now lives at Ironbridge in Shropshire. I so enjoyed this programme and do hope the create more.

Since you all seem to be happy with his presentation I hope I'm not introducing too much of a note of dissent when I say that I struggle with Jay Blades presenting a programme about the West Midlands. Have we not got a suitable personality amongst us or is it the Londoncentric programme makers who feel that a West Midlands accent would be too impenetrable to be understood by the rest of the viewers? That apart, the programmes have been enjoyable in content.

Last edited:
I found the part about the pub bombings interesting. Not wishing to bring up any bad memories for anybody, apologies if I have, but my uncle was a ranking policeman at the time and had a direct involvement in the aftermath so I have always looked for any information about this. My next door neighbours are a lovely old irish couple and I remember him saying about the hard times he faced in the immediate aftermath as he worked on the buses at the time, much like the guy on the programme.

Re: Jay Blades, I thought he was a great host for this series and gave an affectionate outsiders view of the area which I doubt many other non Brummie presenter would achieve. The fact he is a self proclaimed adopted midlander gave him a great insight I think.

Since you all seem to be happy with his presentation I hope I'm not introducing too much of a note of dissent when I say that I struggle with Jay Blades presenting a programme about the West Midlands. Have we not got a suitable personality amongst us or is it the Londoncentric programme makers who feel that a West Midlands accent would be too impenetrable to be understood by the rest of the viewers? That apart, the programmes have been enjoyable in content.

The thing is that the program was not aimed just at Midlanders. Jay is a person well known and liked , with a pleasant personality, who might induce some who would not usually be interested to watch the program.

The thing is that the program was not aimed just at Midlanders. Jay is a person well known and liked , with a pleasant personality, who might induce some who would not usually be interested to watch the program.
could not agree with you more mike

Back