• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James Henry Pritchett

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Sorry this photo is not too clear but we had to take a photo from a photo as I didn't have a scanner handy.
James (Uncle Jim to Parker's family) was born in Birmingham in 1896.
Has anyone any idea what the chain is please?
We went to visit a cousin on Wednesday in Ironbridge and she has lots of family photos but this one is a puzzle to us all. We're hoping to put names to faces so that there is a record for our children.

Any help appreciated!

Oops! Forgot the photos!
The orientation is wrong too although it's fine on the laptop.
Also forgot to mention that he was a postal worker in the 1920's and a jeweller before that.

Attachments

• jim .1.jpg
    jim .1.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Jim 2.jpg
    Jim 2.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Have corrected position and tried to make chain clearer (not very succesfully)

It looks very much like a chain of office of some association or other such as the Freemasons or Buffaloes. Though you would need a much closer higher resolution photo to make out which one it was.

Phil, I've done a little more research and he was entered into the Postal Service book in April 1928 and became a postman. I know it's not a good picture and I will try to find a way to get a scan and re-post. We're going back in October.
Janice, Yes, Jim lived all his life in Birmingham. His early years were in Paddington Street but I'm not sure where he lived after he married but definitely in Birmingham. He was baptised at All Saints, Hockley in 1896 and married in Aston. He stood in for his older brother Alfred when Alfred's daughters married as by this time Alfred had died, one in 1948 and the other in 1954 both in Birmingham. It is Alfred who is the direct ancestor. Jim was buried at Witton in 1980.

hi pen i was born in paddington st my nan lived in the street from at least 1911 until demo in the late 60s so a very good chance she knew jim...depending of course on how long he was in the street..nice photo of him pen...hope you can solve the mystery of the chain

lyn

Sorry Lyn, I read the notes wrong! It was Parker's nan who lived in Paddington Street, No. 63. She was born in Hospital Street. They had moved to Paddington Street by 1911 (via Guildford Street in 1901). Jim lived in New Spring Street, Hockley.
So far there are other relatives at 4 ct 4 Paddington Street, and 4 back of 68 Paddington Street.
Nan's name was Nellie Maybury and her parents were William and Harriet. I think Nan had 9 brothers and sisters so there were lots of Maybury's around. Jim was Nellie's husband's brother. Fairly sure Nellie was in Paddington Street until she married (1923) but I will check. She and her husband went to run the Eagle in Park Lane until he died.

hi pen the addresses i have for my lot from 1911 to 1960s are no 7 (where our mom was born).. no 15.. no 4 back of 12 (where myself and brother were born)... no14 and no 18.....

lyn

Hi Lyn, you're further up the road then apart from the 4 court 4. Just discovered that Harriet re-married after her husband died and they lived at 45.

hi pen just found another rellie on the eve of war register at no 68..i see you had one at 4/68:rolleyes:

lyn

Back