• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James Factory, Tomey Road, Greet

emevans

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone have any memories of working at the James factory in Tomey Road, Greet, in the 1940's and 50's? I visited the site in the mid 50's to have some work done on my motorcycle. I was sent to the canteen for a couple of hours whilst the work was being done. A super company. I would love to see a photograph of the bikes on the production line etc. Fred Kimberly was the long term gaffer and always gets a 'good press' to this day.

Em

My father worked st The James Cycle Company certainly during WW2 and retiring in 1966.
He operated a flame cutting machine and was a member of the Auxilliary Fire Service which was on duty during the war. After the war he still went to the factory on weekends walking round making sure everything was ‘safe’. Sometimes he would take me with him and I would be allowed to ride one or two of the tricycles. There were tricycles for children and adults too. Being an infant I have no idea when he started at The James. It would be ineresting to learn.
The James I think backed on to The Serck and two of his brothers worked there. Some lunchtimes the three would see each other through the fence and have a “catch up”. One uncle lived in Balsall Heath, where they all grew up and the other in Spark hill. These little meetings were useful as the brothers and their father would probably only meet once a month on a Sunday, their only day off.

Back