• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James Campbell

Karen Campbell

Thank you for posting this, I am researching my family tree and my 3rd great grandfather lived at 35 greens village his name was James Campbell. Although in 1851 census they are registered Cammell and 1861 census Cambell. James and Bridget had 7 children all born in Ireland.

Thank you for posting this, I am researching my family tree and my 3rd great grandfather lived at 35 greens village his name was James Campbell. Although in 1851 census they are registered Cammell and 1861 census Cambell. James and Bridget had 7 children all born in Ireland.

Hi Karen, James is my 1st cousin, 3 x removed

Hi Karen,
Further. To my last message, have you more information about James Campbell, so that I can compare your James Campbell to mine.
Thank you

Hi Karen,
Further. To my last message, have you more information about James Campbell, so that I can compare your James Campbell to mine.
Thank you
Hi. I also have a James Campbell I am researching. He is a brick wall in my tree (although I *think* I am beginning to knock it down). His family originated in Roscommon.

Think I may have jumped the gun. I still can't find a birth certificate for my James Campbell, but it is thought he was born in 1880 or 1881. His sisters (verified through DNA genealogy) were certainly born in Birmingham. Different generation/family maybe, My James Campbell had a John Campbell and Bridget Dillon as parents (Bridget being born in Roscommon)

Hi I have a James Campbell, born around 1837/39, Roscommom
His parents were John Campbell and Bridget McOwen.
I looked for a James Campbell on the BMD.
The only birth that came up was James Campbell, born 1876, Aston.
Was James’s sisters born in that area too.
Diane.

No, James' sisters were born in Ladywood. Have you had your DNA tested? Would be interesting to see if we were a match! Could be some kind of family connection there.

Yes, myself and my brother and sister have done DNA test.
I did Ancestry and My Heritage. My siblings Ancestry

Think I may have jumped the gun. I still can't find a birth certificate for my James Campbell, but it is thought he was born in 1880 or 1881. His sisters (verified through DNA genealogy) were certainly born in Birmingham. Different generation/family maybe, My James Campbell had a John Campbell and Bridget Dillon as parents (Bridget being born in Roscommon)

It might just be a case of him not being registered. Unfortunately, it happens.

Also Bridget Dillon (listed as Jane at times) appears to have been born in Bham - Hill St according to the 1911 census.

That's if I have the right James - sisters Agnes, Rose, Anne & Margaret.

My slip up, it is Bridget's parents - John Dillon and Bridget Murray who were born in Roscommon. I am beginning to think James' birth was not registered. Certainly from what I have gleaned, James Campbell's mother was a 'colourful' character who spent time in prison. His father was too poor to look after the children when she was incarcerated so at least one child (Margaret) was sent to live at a Catholic Institution (St Elizabeth's in Salisbury). Bridget uses the names Bridget, Jane *and* even Anne. I would love to have met her!
James had a tragically short life. He married in 1902 in St Margaret's Church, fathered three sons (one died aged four) and he died in 1908 of pneumonia and TB (unsurprising as he was a stoker) aged only 27.

My slip up, it is Bridget's parents - John Dillon and Bridget Murray who were born in Roscommon. I am beginning to think James' birth was not registered. Certainly from what I have gleaned, James Campbell's mother was a 'colourful' character who spent time in prison. His father was too poor to look after the children when she was incarcerated so at least one child (Margaret) was sent to live at a Catholic Institution (St Elizabeth's in Salisbury). Bridget uses the names Bridget, Jane *and* even Anne. I would love to have met her!
James had a tragically short life. He married in 1902 in St Margaret's Church, fathered three sons (one died aged four) and he died in 1908 of pneumonia and TB (unsurprising as he was a stoker) aged only 27.

Aha! What is your name on Ancestry or MyHeritage? If you want to PM me, that's fine!

Back