• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jacob Winter VII- What Happened after

1940 ONWARDS

In the 1940s we find Jacob and Fanny living with their son Bevis, after the business had been run into the ground by a manager installed as Jacob became too sick. Mum tells me that the psoriasis (a particularly nasty skin disease) appeared in 1949 after a bout in the sun at Blackpool, which contradicts with Paul Winter's recollection, which gave it as a major reason for the business failure in 1934. Also she tells me that he lost a lot of money on a huge consignment of uninsured Wellington Boots in a warehouse fire. Certainly Louis and Harry took over two of the shops in 1946 when Jacob at the ripe old age of 68 retired.

There is a letter dated 22/2/1940 indicating that Fanny had left him for a period as things had hit rock bottom and bills were not getting paid.

I also note that Jacob already had some contacts with Brighton(where they eventually settled)- a postcard sitting with a friend on the beach in 1910, in Yiddish, he sent to himself in Birmingham and a holiday he took down there again in 1933.

Gareth, I have been following your posts "The Winter's Tale" - and found them very interesting, you have put a lot of work into your research.

Back