• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jacob winter vi disaster in birmingham

JACOB WINTER'S BUSINESS COLLAPSE

26th September, 1934 was the end of Jacob Winter’s Business Empire when he was forced to sell the contents of his rented mansion at 43 Charlotte Road, Edgbaston to pay The Birmingham Industrial Loan Company Ltd. The amount came to 95 pounds 16 shillings and 6 pence. Items sold included: a Mahogany bedroom suite, a Chesterfield 3 piece suite and Axminster and Wilton carpets.

He had been a very enterprising person even though his command of English was supposed to be very poor and he had never been to school.

Talking about Jacob’s Empire, here is what Paul Winter had to say.
“The business prospered and at one time he had a four storey factory in Birmingham with a flat on the top floor for the family. The two elder half brothers and Joe and Bernard all worked for him before my uncles went their own way. We were one of the first families in the area to have a telephone (about 1922/1923) and a car. The first was a bright yellow Ford T with a chauffeur. In 1926 they acquired a magnificent Arrol Johnson 8 seater tourer and mother prepared sumptuous picnics to take out on trips.” Going on car trips was something Grandma would always enjoy.

Back