• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jacob Winter part 2 Off to USA

AMERICA BOUND
Jacob Winter went to New York from Liverpool arriving 11th September, 1902 on a ship called the Teutonic. He was accompanied by a Max Winter (his brother) aged 28 and they were staying with a friend called D. Haberman at 179 Bowery which is in the Lower East Side, Manhattan.
This place was a flophouse for men and often would have a hundred men sleeping in one large room. I went to visit it and found a bridge across the East River had replaced it. In fact conditions were so bad that about ten years after Jacob's stay a fire engulfed part of the house killing ten people. Examples still exist of these flophouses in Lower East Side, as well as of the houses lived in by the working Jews, who were mostly Tailors.
The fare could cost around 5 pounds and 10 shillings though I have seen discounted fares of around two to three pounds and the dollar’s exchange rate is 4.87 USD to one pound. They had 100 USD with them as spending money and there is a mention of their stay of four years in UK.

Interestingly there is a Haberman family in Liverpool at that time from Russia. Perhaps Jacob stayed there before the journey.
Mum says he did not stay long as he disliked America though I am still to locate his return journey. There is also some evidence that Max(Marks/Mendeles) Winter returned to Birmingham and then left again in September 1903 to New York with 400 USD this time. He seems to have returned to UK in 1903. Marks disappears after this and Shimon in the fourth quarter of 1904 names his son Marks. Perhaps he disappeared for good.

Back