• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J & E Hall Ltd - Charles E. Hirschfeld

Dave89

master brummie
Hi All,

A friend of mine has recently bought an old Ferguson radio which
bears a brass plate reading -'Presented to Charles E. Hirschfeld on his
retirement by friends and colleagues at J & E Hall Ltd June 29 1956'.

I do remember J & E Hall as a refrigeration company when I worked at R. Whites in Western Road in the 1960s/1970s, and I understand they were
based in Dartford. Does anyone know if they had a Birmingham branch,
and even better, any information regarding Mr Hirschfeld.

Kind regards

Dave

From the 1956 Kellys:

Hall J. & E. Ltd. Refrigerating engnrs. & Lift makers,264 Broad st 1. T A " Hallford " ; Midland 2995
mike

Not sure if this helps... This looks like his birth
[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1891 [/SIZE]

HIRSCHFIELD Charles Ernest Greenwich 1d1064

And as this is the only family I could come up with in Birmingham in 1891 it looks like he could have been related to them as there are heaps of Hirscfields in the London area. However I couldn't find any Births for the B'ham children ? The only marriage I found for any of the names was HIRSCHFIELD Myer in Mar 1910 Whitechapel

Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St.Paul

Address: 98 Spencer St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
HIRSCHFIELD T Head M M 39 Wholesale Jeweller(Notem) Overseas - Foreign - Austria
HIRSCHFIELD Rosa Wife M F 37 Yorkshire - Leeds
HIRSCHFIELD Hesta Dau S F 12 Scholar London - North London
HIRSCHFIELD Hannah Dau S F 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
HIRSCHFIELD Myer Son S M 8 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
HIRSCHFIELD Adolp Son S M 7 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
HIRSCHFIELD Alexander Son S M 5 Warwickshire - Birmingham
HIRSCHFIELD Leopold Son S M 2 Warwickshire - Birmingham
EDGINTON Ellen Servnt S F 19 Servant Domestic Staffordshire - Wednesbury
VINCANT Sarah Servnt S F 16 Servant Domestic Staffordshire - Tipton

From the 1956 Kellys:

Hall J. & E. Ltd. Refrigerating engnrs. & Lift makers,264 Broad st 1. T A " Hallford " ; Midland 2995
mike

Many thanks Mike, I thought they had somewhere local, as I remember
they were often called out to the refrigeration equipment on the production line when I worked at R. Whites. Mineral Waters are chilled before being carbonated and bottled in order to retain the CO2.

Kind regards

Dave

Not sure if this helps... This looks like his birth
[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1891 [/SIZE]

HIRSCHFIELD Charles Ernest Greenwich 1d1064

Many thanks for your efforts, I will pass the information to my friend,
and if anything further emerges for Mr Hirschfeld, I will post on this thread,

Again, many thanks

Kind regards

Dave

Hello folks

Hirschfeld/Hirschfeid is the 'family name' of the company 'A H Field', property developers and agents, still very active in Birmingham.

The family listed could incate this is the same family (origin Austria).

Hello folks

Hirschfeld/Hirschfeid is the 'family name' of the company 'A H Field', property developers and agents, still very active in Birmingham.

The family listed could incate this is the same family (origin Austria).

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the info. I had a further look on the Internet last
night, and found a BMD record showing a marriage for Charles E
Hirschfeld in 1918 at Dartford. This is not that far from his birthplace
given by Pomgolian at Greenwich, and perhaps significantly also the
home of J & E Hall Ltd. Perhaps C.E.H was employed at the Dartford works, and then moved to the company's Birmingham branch later. Of course, it could just be the radio that moved!!

Kind regards

Dave

I know the firm J & E Hall & co from Dartford as makers of lorry and bus chassis in the 1920s, a few of which survive in preservation. Their distinctive angular bonnets make them easy to identify in old photographs.
Their name as makers also appeared on the top and bottom tread plates each end of the escalators in the former New Street Woolworth store.
More about the company at https://www.dartfordarchive.org.uk/20th_century/industry_halls.shtml
Here's a Hallford lorry on an early commercial motor show stand, and a preserved one restored as a London bus.

I fancied a bit of sleuthing this morning, so:

Charles Ernest Hirschfeld, born 2nd quarter 1891.
From the date on the radio can we guess his birthday was 29th June 1891?

1901 census has him aged 9 at home (88 New Colney Rd, Dartford) with parents William (a Coppersmith) and Ruth, siblings William, Sidney, Mabel and Rosabella.

1911 census has him still with parents William Augustine Hirschfeld and Ruth Hirschfeld, siblings Sidney Beckett Hirschfeld, Mable (sic) Josephine Hirschfeld, Rosetta Ruth Hirschfeld, Elsie Hilda Hirschfeld and father's brother Harry Ernest Hirschfeld (who like William was a Coppersmith). Charles was a "Engineers fitter" by now. The home was 5 Priory Hill, Dartford.

There is a marriage registered for Charles Hirschfeld and Edith Bates, 2nd quarter 1918 Dartford vol 2a page 1263.

BMD gives Hirschfeld births with mmn Bates as:
Ronald C Hirschfeld 2nd quarter 1921 Dartford
Brian E Hirschfeld 2nd quarter 1929 Dartford.

I can't see CEH in the online Birmingham electoral roll, so if he did move to this city it was after 1945.

I fancied a bit of sleuthing this morning, so:

Charles Ernest Hirschfeld, born 2nd quarter 1891.
From the date on the radio can we guess his birthday was 29th June 1891?

1901 census has him aged 9 at home (88 New Colney Rd, Dartford) with parents William (a Coppersmith) and Ruth, siblings William, Sidney, Mabel and Rosabella.

Hi Lloyd

Many thanks indeed for your kind efforts in providing so much
information on CEH and his family. As you say, it would appear that
he did not come to Birmingham until after 1945, although I suppose
it's possible he may have lived outside the city.

Kind regards

Dave

The last piece of the jigsaw took a little finding.
Hirschfeld, Charles E. Age 76. Death registered 2nd quarter 1968, Dartford, vol 5f page 277.
So if he did come up, he went back. It's the radio that has travelled!

The last piece of the jigsaw took a little finding.
Hirschfeld, Charles E. Age 76. Death registered 2nd quarter 1968, Dartford, vol 5f page 277.
So if he did come up, he went back. It's the radio that has travelled!

Hi Lloyd

Many thanks for all your help, - this is really the last piece of the puzzle.

My friend will be delighted with all this information, he intends to keep a
'provenance' with the radio which will add to the interest for future owners.

Kind regards

Dave

Hallo, I have just read your message from last year. Charles E Hirschfeld was my grandfather, he was born in Greenwich and lived in Dartford, when he was home. He was in the Merchant Navy as an engineer, and served in both wars in the Navy. After leaving the Merchant navy he worked as a refridgeration engineer for J & E Halls in Dartford until he retired. He died in 1968 in Dartford when I was 11. If your friend still has the radio I would be interested in the brass plate. Grandad was a bit of a lad and liked a drink or two and he travelled alot, but I don't know what he was doing in Birmingham! Sue Hirschfeld.

Hi All,

A friend of mine has recently bought an old Ferguson radio which
bears a brass plate reading -'Presented to Charles E. Hirschfeld on his
retirement by friends and colleagues at J & E Hall Ltd June 29 1956'.

I do remember J & E Hall as a refrigeration company when I worked at R. Whites in Western Road in the 1960s/1970s, and I understand they were
based in Dartford. Does anyone know if they had a Birmingham branch,
and even better, any information regarding Mr Hirschfeld.

Kind regards

Dave

Back