• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IVY LANE ASTON 1911

B

brummiechicken

hiya guys, im confussed about a census record in birmingham which states address as, i think, Joy St???? (could be Toy st?)
I've asked family but no ones heard of it.
The next street on the record was Lawley street, I know this is now lawley middleway but can't see any sign of this Joy st??
Anyone got any clues??

could it be ivy lane which is listed in the directories as coming off lawley street??

Thank you, could well be. Although the middle letter deffinatly looks like an O.
Any other names?

hiya guys, im confussed about a census record in birmingham which states address as, i think, Joy St???? (could be Toy st?)
I've asked family but no ones heard of it.
The next street on the record was Lawley street, I know this is now lawley middleway but can't see any sign of this Joy st??
Anyone got any clues??

tell us the name of person and year of birth and we can have a look and try to decypher it

Hiya again, Its 1901 census.

The person i was searching was Joseph Brown he was 80yrs in census of 1901. (born abt 1821)

He was a border... along with his wife Jane Brown aged 65 (born abt 1836), and son william Brown who was 36 (born abt 1865).

They were Boarding with William ridge 37, annie ridge 26 and Mattie Ridge 8mths.

They lived in Aston, deritend, parish St Basils.

Thanks guys for all your help, i think your right in thinking its Ivy Lane.

I'm starting to see a real trend in my family for the newtown row area, it seems both sides of my family were living there for centuries.

I guess im not the only one, i know it was where alot of families grew up and lived around the area all their lives.

It wasn't till my dad's era that my family moved out to the suburbs.

Re: Acer

Is it the people who lived there in 1911 you are seeking, nobody here could remember it in 1911, unless they were over 103 years of age.

1911 census 3 Bk Ivy Lane , Aston.

Samuel Barnes age 56 b Bristol, occ. Asphalt layer
Emma Barnes age 56 wife born Birmingham, Emma is Deaf,
Ellen Barnes age 13 daughter born Birmingham
information about Samuel and Emma says married for 37 years ,10 children all alive.

living with them their unmarried daughter
Emma Barnes age 28 b. birmingham
John age 4
Violet age 1
information for Emma says 3 children 2 living.

Re: Acer

thank you for the information,sorry for the delay in replying, as far as i know my grandmother emma had only my father john barnes. Acer.

Back