• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

I've Finally Weakened Its Arrived

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Well I've done it,

My Bus Pass arrived today.

I've also sent for my Driving Licence to be replaced (Over 70)

Do you think I'm weakening my Old Age:rolleyes:

:explode:

Not at all Alf. I'll be eligible for a bus pass next April, and with the cost of petrol and problems with parking, I shall be sending for mine. And making the most of it.
It does reming me of my mom though, probably in her mid 70's when she said 'I've got to get a move on, I want to get up the bus stop early. Cus all those pensioners will be there otherwise.'

Ann

Alf, do I detect criminal tendencies in Nacton? I thought the license had to be renewed before you reached 70. When I renewed mine they charged £6.00 but this was later abolished on the grounds of discrimination. I refuse to use my bus pass on the grounds that having worked for 50 years I am entitled to the luxury of a car in my old age.

Had no need for it as I had a car on the road and that packed up, from then on friends took me out a couple of times a week.

Just when my car packed up I'd reached 70 and had to renew my license but didn't bother.

Then my son got a Car two weeks ago and said why don't you send for your license and you could borrow my car while I am at work (He works Local) so I thought why not. He then took me last Friday week to get my Bus pass sorted as well.

Nice of him but there is method in is kindness he will expect me to put petrol in the car.:D

Hows that Froth:)

Well isn't it worth the petrol Alf -when your indpendence is at stake? You will feel old when you have lost it:(

Had no need for it as I had a car on the road and that packed up, from then on friends took me out a couple of times a week.

Just when my car packed up I'd reached 70 and had to renew my license but didn't bother.

Then my son got a Car two weeks ago and said why don't you send for your license and you could borrow my car while I am at work (He works Local) so I thought why not. He then took me last Friday week to get my Bus pass sorted as well.

Nice of him but there is method in is kindness he will expect me to put petrol in the car.:D

Hows that Froth:)

Thanks Alf,:) now that's what I call an answer.
Looking forward to getting mine next April.:0214:

I've had my bus pass for 6 years and never used it on a bus,but it has got me into places of interest(eg Warwick Castle) for half price

Well isn't it worth the petrol Alf -when your indpendence is at stake? You will feel old when you have lost it:(

Its worth every penny Beryl and its lovely to be driven by your children, remembering the times when they were driving you mad with the noise in the back seat:D

I've never driven and can't wait for my bus pass in January, I'm raring to go!

Harborne

Hi Alf, Keep your license alive. My dear old mother kept her spirit and will to
keep behind the wheel until she reached 88 driving a canary yellow Ford Capri
She began to scrape the garage uprights and I persuaded her to retire Link up soon WAK

I couldn't wait! I was on holiday for my 60th. My bus pass was waiting for me when I got home just remember you can use it on trains in the Centro area and the Metro and when you're on holiday, in this country, too! They're National now. I have also bought a Senior Railcard for £24.00 at least a third off rail travel and you only pay from the Centro boundary, for instance if you are going to London[who would want to] you only pay from Coventry.
So when I'm not cycling to/from work you'll see me using my pass!!

How can you tell a happy cyclist................dead flies on his teeth!! :D

Have had mine for 2 years now, but haven't used it yet. I think it's the picture of that old women looking back at me. Puts me off. Some friends took a picture of Dave and I at Aberystwyth this week. My first reaction was 'Whose that old woman with my husband?' Dammit! It's me.
Lynda
:cry:

Know what you mean, Lynda - I wonder who the old bloke is who hides inside all the mirrors in my house!

Know what you mean, Lynda - I wonder who the old bloke is who hides inside all the mirrors in my house!

Lloyd & Lynda with mine the bus driver won't even let me on the bus

Last edited:
Alf you won't regret getting a bus pass. When the brewery phoned Pete to go back to work I used it loads. Pete has his but has never used it I think it's a mans thing. Don't bother me. Jean.

I'll use mine Jean if I can get a lift to the Bus Stop:)

But then you can't have everything:)

I have had my Bus Pass for two years now and used it once, I wanted to go to Birmingham so I went to the station but no-one wanted to see or check it.
At Moor St the same again, no-one checked.
The return trip was the same, I might as well have left it at home!

I think you will find that the bus pass is not National, they are only valid in England. It's back on your skate board in Scotland and Wales.

Received a reminder today that my Senior Railcard expires next month. Previous renewal was for three years - that worked out well!

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Received a reminder today that my Senior Railcard expires next month. Previous renewal was for three years - that worked out well!
They are well worth it, when we are able to travel. My first one more than paid for itself a few years ago, with return trips made to Oban, Liverpool and then London, within a few months of each other.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
They are well worth it, when we are able to travel.
Rather my point, I think. One of my uses was to go to professional society events, discontinued during 'Covid' and probably now 'zoomed' into extinction. Would have been good PR if either the expiry date had been extended or a reduced renewal price had been offered. I went for a three year card with the expectation that I would be able to use it yet for nearly two years that wasn't an option.

Rather my point, I think. One of my uses was to go to professional society events, discontinued during 'Covid' and probably now 'zoomed' into extinction. Would have been good PR if either the expiry date had been extended or a reduced renewal price had been offered. I went for a three year card with the expectation that I would be able to use it yet for nearly two years that wasn't an option.
Agreed 100%, I went to use my one a couple of months ago again and noticed it had expired a long, long time ago. :(

Back