• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like glue-gum sticks as they seem to dry out, but proper brown gum in a bottle with a spreader has faded away! I had some which lasted years, I just added a little hot water every now and again!
(Mum used to make paste with flour and water.)
Gloy?
Don't like `Gorilla Glue is goes everywhere like cinder toffee
Mum made flower and water paste too
At school we had a pot with a stick in the lid it was white like milk and I liked the smell.

Remember blue rinses? They still have them. Remember grab a granny or grandad and the old bags' ball. I suppose I can't say that either. Do they still have tea dances? Nan stopped going to what was the Darby and Joan club it was too bitchy and childish she said. She called it her 'class'. Do they say over 60's now and young at heart and golden age maybe?
Nico

Don't remember these, what did they taste like Viv? I only remember the Skippy the kangaroo. He went tut tut tut tut tut and rescued people, Splasher went tutututututututut! Champion and Fury and Beauty when whinny whinny plunge, rear, Lassie and The Little Hobo went woof woof and everybody was saved, and I felt happy and safe .....and then I had to grow up!
I do recall an advert with Kay skips in it but what it was for I know not. A woman skipping, a grown woman!
Nico

Nico they tasted a bit like a Turnocks wafer biscuit but much more choc and caramel and much less wafer. Viv.

That was the first book we had at school and the story was Little Fisher Duckling. I can smell the classroom now, thank you Sue. It smelled of milk, plasticine, fishtanks, burning coke, chalk and books. A special smell but nothing clinical. The loos smelt of carbolic soap and sometimes wood shavings or sawdust if someone was sick. That smell made me retch for years afterwards. We went on to read the Gay Way series. I expect that name would not be allowed now. I wonder do they still have Wendy houses, hamsters fishtanks and frogspawn & pump bags.I know the milk has gone and tortoise imports are banned thank goodness. From the age of four I learned to tie my shoelaces with a mock shoe insert and tie my tie. Make a pig out of a potato and matchsticks . Play percussion instruments, to share. To send cards and make Christmas decorations and simple gifts for my parents. To draw with slates and wax crayons and write and to choose and make decisions. To sing hymns and songs, counting rhymes and dance and play games.We wore ties because we wanted to or our parents wanted us to. I had one on elastic and a tartan dickie that lit up. My teacher was Miss Ellis, she looked like Geraldine McEwan (Miss Marple) she wore nice blouses, tweed skirts and long gaiters! She was warm and kind and protective with a sense of irony in her humour and treated us like little people.
Thanks for reviving the memories. Nico

My husband used to have 'The Radiant Way' books at school. I still have one of the cards sent home saying what book he was on. I can't remember any books I read at al, but Janet and John does come to mind.

I think the series of books you get at school varied depending which school you went to. When I started in Croydon we had the Janet & John books, we moved to Birmingham the next year and I had coloured readers. I think there was a red, green, blue and one or two others. When I was 10 I changed school again and there was yet another set of readers to go through because, for some reason, they didn't just let you start at the level you left your old school at. I can't remember what that last set was called.

I think we had the Janet and John books too.

It's funny but I can't remember much about actually learning to read, I just sort of couldn't and then I could (if you know what I mean!!).

Reading is such a valuable gift.
There was a campaign in the london Standard newspaper last year called 'Get London Reading' as it was found that quite a high percentage of school children in the city can't read properly. Partly because they come from families for who English is not their mother language and partly that parents just don't read with them anymore.

mmn.jpegFrom todays newspaper.
He has not actually faded away yet but his future is in doubt.

Mom used PERSIL? what happened to that ALSO Funny how the minds acts as old age creeps on,The other day I was showing my Grandson how to do something and out of the blue (MIND) I said "And thats Bobs your UNCLE" NOW where did I get that one from? John Crump OldBritParker, Colorado USA

Just read your blog Viv...do you remember Flat 20s 20 small bars of chocolate in a box like a 20 pk of cigs

Don't remember those James but I remember a chocolate that you could buy at the cinema in a box like a flip top cigarette box. I think they were called 'Royal'. Viv.

OldBrit Unilever (Lever Bros) change the name of their products depending on the country, so probably you do have Persil, but in the US it is called probably something else -OMO, oxydol or whatever

Was Chicken Licken in the Janet and John book?

and, does anyone remember Kitty and Rover books - I don't...

Hi Jim yes i do remember cadburys chocolate boxes with pictures on they looked great my mother used to cut them out and use them for pictures round the house you dont see this anymore i suppose it's down to cost.
Podgery
You are spot on. They were in the purple box if I remember right. Do you remember when Cadburys used to put pictures on the chocolate boxes.
Jim

Not faded out yet, but last edition due out in December. I am sure many of us can remember reading and enjoying the comic. RIP DANDY
dandy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember they had some lovely pictures on the boxes Podgery and on biscuit tins. Dad gave mum one for a special ocassion with a picture of a tapestry on it, she liked it so much she put it on the wall. it rested on a tack. Simple pleasures. Nico

Do they still produce Crazy foam?
I don't know Sue. And silly string? We had some edible silly string piped all over our desserts whatever we chose once, in Wales. It tasted horrible.
Opposite my old job there is a fountain and it has been re done and re done it was fine as it was. Now it is like steps. The previous attempt had irregular shapes like ear holes lying down with water spilling over them. Someone christened it the elephants' bidets.
Anyway you saying crazy foam, often kids or students used to put a bottle of washing up liquid in the fountain and the bubbles went for miles in the air. But they had to clean it and it cost a lot to do that, each time for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back