• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember Dr Williams' Pink Pills? My friend always used to take them, as her mother swore by them, but I have no idea if they had any real value.

Carolina, I don't know whether it was the one, but was it called 'Jive Bunny'? Perhaps I am totally muddled.

Maggs I am not sure - I know it started off something like, Stars on 45... remember twist and shout....sugar, sugar, sugar ... yeah you really got me going....etc.

Hi guys ;
do any of you recall the small bags of coal that you bought from the shop that was called trend coal
and you would start it burning with fire lighters or if you had plenty of news papers or even make slack bricks to get the coal going
my uncle bill smart used to make briggettes out of compress news papers and they burn for hours he had them stacked up by the mantle
piece astonian ;;

We were trying to explain to the grandchildren that you could buy a slab of ice-cream in a cardboard package called "Family Brick" (or something like that). You could then make wafers, thick or thin

according to the number you needed. We lived close to the corner shop, otherwise they wrapped it in newspaper and you had to run home. It was considered a luxury as we had no 'fridge, and not

much money either!

In the 1930s Mum's Nan had a small shop and made ice-cream in a paddle-mixer and you had to take your own bowl. Close by was a lady who made faggots, and you needed a bowl for those too.

rosie.

Rosie I remember the flat ice cream you could cut. Also, if you bought an ice cream with a cone, the ice cream was tubular shape with cardboard round it as well. All changed when Verrechias came on the scene.

Midland Counties did ice cream for cones that was in cardboard - and what brilliant ice cream it was. I went away to boarding school at 13, so don't remember when Verecchias started making ice cream. I went to school with a Josephine Verecchia when I was about 7 - I wonder if her family had anything to do with it?

Seeing Gee's Linctus mentioned, I've got this tin which once contained Famel Pastilles, have not seen any for ages so I think they have faded away. The pic shows that one of the ingredients was Creosote !
I'm not sure, but I think Creosote has faded away.

Famel.jpg

As a youngster I used to cycle the Henley-in-Arden for the ice cream sold there. At that time, I am speaking of sixty years ago, I was the best you could buy and well worth the effort. Henley was not that far from my home and of course the roads were far less busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we used to go YHAing on our bikes, we always seemed to come back through Stratford and Henley in Arden, and I agree with Radio Rails, that their ice cream was the best I have ever tasted, probably no chemicals in it . But the reference to the biking brings to mind how we used to dread coming home from the west side of Brum to Ward End, and having to climb Mucklow's Hill, it really did take the edge off the day !

When ice cream men sold wafer ice creams, I seem to remember they had a little gadget in which they placed a wafer then pasted ice cream in, placed another wafer on top and pushed a little lever which lifted the complete wafered ice cream to serve. Probably more ice cream than in a cornet, but more tricky to eat.

I could not say with any certainty that it is exactly the same as 60 years ago but I have had Henly Ice Cream this last summer and it does taste the same as it used to. Travelling towards Birmingham it is sold at a small shop on the left on the main road in Henly.
stitcher.

Another ood item as disapeared my kids loved rissols for meals
but like most food stuffs they have gone for good
astonian

Another ood item as disapeared my kids loved rissols for meals
but like most food stuffs they have gone for good
astonian

-you can easily make your own:

Basic beef rissole recipe
  1. Combine 500g beef mince, 1 small finely chopped onion, ⅓ cup tomato paste and 2 tbsp water.
  2. Season the mixture with fresh or dried herbs, as well as salt and pepper.
  3. Take 3 tbsp of mixture and shape it into a rissole. Don’t make the rissole too dense.
  4. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 12 small rissoles.
  5. Some people coat them with golden breadcrumbs before cooking.
To pan-fry
  1. Lightly brush or spray the rissoles with oil.
  2. Preheat a large non-stick pan to moderately-high.
  3. Add the rissoles, lower the heat to moderate and cook for 4-5 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Turn them once only.
To oven bake

Preheat oven to moderate 180ºC.
  1. Shape rissoles.
  2. Lightly brush or spray the rissoles with oil.
  3. Preheat a non-stick pan to moderately-high.
  4. Add the rissoles, lower the heat to moderate and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Turn them once only.
  5. Place the rissoles on an oven tray and cook in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.

Regarding Rissoles; If you have a Lidl or Aldi near you, you will find in the cold meat section something called Frikadellen, they are delicious pan fried. They are the German version of Rissoles.

Barrie.

Many, here on the Forum, will recall the Faggots and Peas Shops and I am sure often frequented them. Out in the sticks we had no such places but a visit to relatives in Ladywood, on a Saturday, would often find me with an aunt in the Faggots and Peas Shop in Spring Hill (almost opposite the Library I am sure).

https://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/faggots.htm

Trolls. Uglist toy on the market but had huge success. Endless hours spent combing its hair, then combing again followed by more combing ............ what on earth was the attraction? Viv.

How about going to the nearest grocer's for a bag of broken biscuits ?

There was a kid in our gang who's sister worked at Cadbury's, she used to bring home brown paper bags full of mis-shapes. Bliss !

Does anyone know what happened to sago? Years ago you could buy sago or pearl tapioca, sago being much larger and often known as frog spawn - now all you can get is the small stuff but it's called by both names. I like all milk puddings, but sago was my favourite.

Sago pudding, Reminds me of song by Freddie parrot face Davis. Every time I ask for Sago pudding, all i get is Semolina. Honestly it was one of his songs [ I can still remember and whistle the tune ] The semolina song 1967

When we were kid's in Bartley Green during the mid 1950's, we had many door to door services. a Milkman, a Baker, Mobile Greengrocer, a laundry man (who always brought the laundry back wrapped in brown paper and string). The Masons' Pop man, the Ice cream man (with the ice cram block for wafers, and the round "thingy" that went into the cornet). I can't remember Corona pop being delivered. There was also the washing machine hire man in his van, the farmer from Scotland Farm who used to bring logs for sale with his tractor & trailer. We never used Davenports though. Somehow, I don't think home delivery is new......

Your right home delivery nothing new,We had the corona pop man,My Father had small cigarette dispenser,that would be filled once month,Dad would put the money in and his cigarrettes dispensed,The man come every month refill and take the money

Whenever I came home on leave, from the army in the sixties there was always a new craze sweeping a (then) affluent Brum.

In the early sixties there was a craze for coffee bars. We all wore baggy sweaters and sat around drinking frothy coffee. The Sombrero and El Toro are two that I recall.
Who remembers the time when you couldn't move for shops selling chicken and mushroom pies ? (Fleur de Lis).
Later in the decade you just HAD to go to Fanny's, where you were served a T-bone steak on a wooden board.

. . . and me on a humble squaddy's pay, ah well !

I am old enough to remember the Milkman on his horse drawn milk float and the coalmans horse who was favorite with us kids, Also Rag and Bone man with his Horse and Cart, No worry about fuel prices for them, Plenty of fertilizer for the roses. Also the Coalman - Jones's from Jiggins Lane

Trolls. Uglist toy on the market but had huge success. Endless hours spent combing its hair, then combing again followed by more combing ............ what on earth was the attraction? Viv.

I'm afraid I have to admit to liking Trolls, not sure why though, but I have two Pencil Topper Trolls sitting behind me on the shelf, as I type, that my lads bought me when they were youngsters because they knew I liked them..:love_heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back