• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison Family

garry i have now emailed you the 1881 census and the 2 bapts can you let me know if you can now extract them..still searching for the bapt of william...as janice said in the previous post yes look at the transcripts but always make sure you look at the original written census as well..so many errors can occur with transcripts...even with the written census errors can happen ie the person writing down the information goes from door to door taking the information from the people who live there and it is very easy for him to miss hear what is being said so he himself can write the information down wrong so double check the ages..occupations and where born on the original...then of course we have to contend with sometimes the very bad handwriting of the person writing down the info...

also another little tip is the people themselves would often tell little white lies when giving information..ie saying they were married when really they were not this is to save the shame of not being married in those days it was frowned upon.. on the 1911 census my gt grandparents had 4 children born between 1902 and 1908 and they put down that they had been married for 10 years but i have their marriage cert dated 1910..i bet they never thought that many years later i would come along and find out their little white lie :D

lyn

Last edited:
Garry - I think there is another child who died very young.
I can't find a birth reg but there is a baptism and a death
This is from the same church at Lower Mitton where Lyn found the other baptisms
1698678405851.png
death reg from GRO
1698678451731.png
It may be they only registered a death if she was only days old.
She was buried at the church 2 days after her baptism. Aged just 4 days
1698678580918.png

Last edited:
Thankyou very much. I will add her to the tree. I would never have found her. Wasnt looking. Emma 1878, William 1879, John 1880, Emily 1882, Charles 1883 then 7 more in Brisbane. (Charles was born in Brisbane so no need to look for him).

With no birth reg it was unlikely you would find her. I only found her as I was looking for William's baptism but I don't think he was baptised. I went through the whole of 1879 at that church and drew a blank. Emma came up on a search for Ison. With the right parent's name it had to be. So sad to find her burial so soon after as well.

Back