• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this in Birmingham?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i did my apprenticeship at a co in devon st,and was in 211 st anns scouts. i dont remember it being like that there were no flats.
pete as we photograph collectors all know not all the locations are correct so maybe that one i posted is not of devon st...the 2 photos you posted i also have

lyn

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The middle houses in the picture stand nearer the pavement, and there seems to be an large entrance between houses. This should show up on a map ?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i am not that certain about photo 2 on post 42 being devon st.... although i could be wrong but looking at this scottish map site i dont think you would get that view of the gas works.. also the right hand side of devon st did not have many houses...most of that side of the st was taken up by the gas works and a school...click on link below..dont forget if you slide the blue dot the maps will fade out to show you what is there now..i am addicted to this site..its a great little tool when researching

Last edited:

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
i have my doubts about photo 2 on post 42 being devon st....looking at this scottish map site i dont think you would get that view of the gas works.. also the right hand side of devon st did not have many houses...most of that side of the st was taken up by the gas works and a school...click on link below..dont forget if you slide the blue dot the maps will fade out to show you what is there now..i am addicted to this site..its a great little tool when researching

yer lyn. true i remember if you walked up devon st from saltley rd. on the left was the gasworks wall. right up to the school.
on the right were the offices a small car park,then simms motor units, then a scrap yard, then the houses started. a small shop ie front room of a house mr and mrs pimms. the rest houses and the church and then summerset .rd on rhe right.
the pic #42 i got off the www i too dont think it is devon st, more like cato st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
if you move the map pete ive just noticed there are 2 more gas cylinders at nechells place which would be visible from either cato st .will do a bit more research later on...work to do now :rolleyes:

pjmburns

master brummie
This doesn't answer the question but......Just asked my Dad if he remembers a Catholic procession round the streets (would be much later than the photo but thought we might get an idea). He says he thinks there was one round the streets from St Chad's but can't remember why it took place. He thinks the ones I referred to were just in parishes.

oldMohawk

master brummie
The only word I am sure about on the banners is 'League'. The other words I can only guess at. Searching the web, I have seen some slight connections between the word 'League' and various Methodist movements.

Radiorails

master brummie
I pointed out in an earlier post that this had all the makings of a No,8 bus thread :D

Reflecting on the scene there is a very large number of young girls, which could suggest a school procession - a church school procession, hence the minister and banners. Unusually, if for something Catholic, I cannot see a crucifix anywhere and Catholics more than denominations are seldom without a crucifix being evident somewhere. I remember the old St. Catherines, the No.8 bus passed by but this is not a major road; if it was, trams or early type buses would have used it. The lamp posts might be 'Brummy' but I have seen similar all over the realm - even on railway stations. But Birmingham's area, as it became, was not the same in then as it was still expanding its territory. High church Anglicanism does copy many Catholic traditions, particularly ritualistic ones, so that is another possibility.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
This doesn't answer the question but......Just asked my Dad if he remembers a Catholic procession round the streets (would be much later than the photo but thought we might get an idea). He says he thinks there was one round the streets from St Chad's but can't remember why it took place. He thinks the ones I referred to were just in parishes.
In May 1919 there was a Catholic procession carrying the relics of St. Chad from the Cathedral.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Taken in the timeline 1910-1920 there was a lot of controversy about Catholics parading with the statue of the Madonna and Child.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could the parade have been anything to do with the Feast of Assumption. If so it would have been in August. And it could also account for the men wearing boaters. Viv.

pjmburns

master brummie
I did wonder about the relics but they are not in the photo and I would have expected them to be just ahead of the celebrant.
I tried to see if the leading server was carrying a crucifix but side on it is hard to tell. Usually this would be carried by the person leading the procession.
Agree many high Anglican services might resemble RC services.

Radiorails

master brummie
In May 1919 there was a Catholic procession carrying the relics of St. Chad from the Cathedral.
That's a possibility. Maybe the front of the procession - which for our research would be the important part - is not in the photo. A procession carrying such an item would be carried by a clergyman of rank, suitably attired attended by a canopy and acolytes carrying large poles carrying candles at each corner. An very important event.