• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is somebody telling fibs ?

Snowball

master brummie
My grandparents were John Henry Bradnock and Julia Marklew. They were married on 6th August 1905. Family folklore said it was at the Holy Trinity Church on Moseley Road. The GRO marriage certificate which I now have said that it was at the Holy Trinity Church, Bordesley, was this the same church ?

In addition I now have an even bigger concern, the respective addresses of John and Julia are given as 11 and 10 Lime Grove. I'm quite certain that neither of them ever lived at these addresses, it's a bit suspicious that the addresses are either adjacent to or accross the road from one another. While there are a few Lime Groves listed in Birmingham I found one that is very close to Moseley Road - is this another coincidence ? or is someone telling fibs ?.

Regards,

Snowball.

Hi Snowball,

Holy Trinity Church Moseley Rd. came under the district of Bordesley. So it is the same church. And regards to the addresses for bride and groom, addresses were sometimes 'borrowed', so that they fell within the boundary of the parish of the church, where they wish to be married. This happened a lot.

Ann

Thanks for that Ann, I sort of suspected that might be the case. I assume that the authorities turned a blind eye to this practice since it seems to be victimless. The certificate is signed by the Vicar of that Church and he would have to be a bit thick not to realise these people had "borrowed" their addresses.

Any idea about who lived at Nos. 10 and 11 Lime Grove, perhaps the Vicar himself ?

Regards,

Snowball.

Snowball: You'll be surprised the number of fables and legends that can pass from member to member in any family, and then be carried on to eternity...

Let me give you an example from my own family history.

My mother had a cousin - May - who (according to legend!) married an American soldier after the First World War and went back with him to settle in Laramie, Wyoming. Not only this, but a child of the union, Rose, was born on the ship going across to America...

During my investigations into familty history, I find that May married a British soldier - Phil Banner - who then decided to join other members of his family who had emigrated to America just prior to his getting married to May.

Further, I discovered that Rose - the daughter of the union - was born in 1921 in Laramie, Wyoming, 12 months after her mom and dad were married, in England - in 1920...!

I met Rose - my second cousin, of course - some years ago, and she was able to tell me that the house she was born in - in Laramie - is still standing. Rose is 85 now, but I am still in contact with her. She was surprised when I toold her I had a US census on which she and her mom and dad were registered. She was six years old at the time...

So, you see, Snowball, I'm afraid some member of our families like to embellish and dramatise incidents from the past, especially when they can't be verified!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Snowball: You'll be surprised the number of fables and legends that can pass from member to member in any family, and then be carried on to eternity...

Let me give you an example from my own family history.

My mother had a cousin - May - who (according to legend!) married an American soldier after the First World War and went back with him to settle in Laramie, Wyoming. Not only this, but a child of the union, Rose, was born on the ship going across to America...

During my investigations into familty history, I find that May married a British soldier - Phil Banner - who then decided to join other members of his family who had emigrated to America just prior to his getting married to May.

Further, I discovered that Rose - the daughter of the union - was born in 1921 in Laramie, Wyoming, 12 months after her mom and dad were married, in England - in 1920...!

I met Rose - my second cousin, of course - some years ago, and she was able to tell me that the house she was born in - in Laramie - is still standing. Rose is 85 now, but I am still in contact with her. She was surprised when I toold her I had a US census on which she and her mom and dad were registered. She was six years old at the time...

So, you see, Snowball, I'm afraid some member of our families like to embellish and dramatise incidents from the past, especially when they can't be verified!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

As a child the late Spike Milligan ,after been told he was descended from the kings of Ireland said " Well if I am descended from the kings of Ireland why is the a**e out of my trousers???"

When i got married my wife gave her address of her aunt who lived in the same street as the church where we got Married, the reason being that as it was my Parish Church but not my wifes, so we would have to pay to have the Bands read in her Parish Church, well money was very tight at that time in my life so any saving we could make was welcome so needless to say we only had to pay for one reading. I had to borrow the money from my Mother to buy the Wedding ring. Aaarrr happy day's.

Chucka

As a child the late Spike Milligan ,after been told he was descended from the kings of Ireland said " Well if I am descended from the kings of Ireland why is the a**e out of my trousers???"

Hi, Bill123: Yes. Good old Spike. That comment would be typical of him...!

Wasn't he the one who had inscribed on his gravestone - "I told you I was illl...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

My grandparents were John Henry Bradnock and Julia Marklew. They were married on 6th August 1905. Family folklore said it was at the Holy Trinity Church on Moseley Road. The GRO marriage certificate which I now have said that it was at the Holy Trinity Church, Bordesley, was this the same church ?...
We're many years on now, so perhaps you no longer check in here, but I have just joined the forum today and have been enjoying browsing. I grew up in Birmingham and was born a Marklew. My granddad was Walter Marklew and I suspect he was born in the 1890s - I can check. I think he used to run a corner shop in either Moseley or Edgbaston - my close family might know more.

I find it slightly spooky that the one post I have clicked on without a name in the title happens to be about a Marklew.

I have very little info about my family tree, but I am now tempted to look into it further. I believe we do go back a way in Birmingham, and remember there were sword makers and shoemakers in the family.

Back