• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Irish Quarter?

sheronb

master brummie
Was there one in Birmingham? Quite a few of my Irish ancesters, were born around Ledsam,Sheepcote, and Oozells St,in Ladywood, was this it, if there was one?This was from the mid 1800s on wardwards.

There was an irish quarter at Perry Barr, not sure where, but a lot of them attended St Theresa's Church, they still have a club upstairs and community hall. HOPE this little tad helps.

In the past there seems to have been Irish enclaves all over the city, Perry Barr, Erdington, Ladywood, to mention just a few. Now it appears to be far more organised around the Digbeth area, where the Irish Centre and most of the Irish pubs are located.

should have remembered digbeth, used to go drinking round there in the late 70s, early 80s!! lol, thanks guys!

irish club

Hello
If memory serves me right there was an irish club called the Shamrock i think that was near Digbeth in the late sixties.
Pam

You're not wrong, pam, there's pubs, clubs, businesses various charity offices and everything to do with the Irish down there now. Even the Old Crown is now owned by a wealthy Irish businessman.

Yes That Right .
The Old Crown Cost Him A Million Quid To Re, Renovate That Place
And Still Adding Cost

Back