• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Irene May Louise Renouf, Baby Linen Warehouse

sally B

proper brummie kid
I am researching Irene May Louise Renouf who appears in the 1939 trades index under baby linen warehouse Maren at 177 Broad Street 15. I would love to know more about this business if anyone could help.

I know she died in June 1977 in Jaffray Hospital Erdington but I have no idea how to find out where she was buried or cremated either. I have hit a brick wall with both her and her daughter Marjorie. They lived in Trafalgar Road in 1950 and then in Kedleston Road Hall Green until their deaths. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

I haven't figured out where the name Renouf comes into their lives but Irene was born Irene May L Strickland in 1894 Newport .Mon.
she married Arthur S G Honey in 1920 in Newport and their daughter Marjorie Irene S Honey was born in Newport in 1921 she died in Birmingham in 1986,both died using the name Renouf.
Arthur Honey died in 1923 age 31.

1901 26 Mill Parade,Newport

Valentine Strickland age 31 b. Newport
Sarah age 32 b. Tyne Dock Durham
Irene M L age 6 b. Newport
Elsie D age 3 b. Newport
Mary Richardson age 74 mother in law b. Misterton Notts.
Kate richardson age 41 b. Hull,Yorks.

I have found possible link in as much as an Elsie Lavinia Renouf who was born in Jersey married William Richardson in 1907 Newport
Richardson being the maiden name of Sarah Strickland,perhaps a relative?

Last edited:
Alberta That is fantastic you are perfectly correct. Richardson is Sarah Strickland's maiden name. This is my problem how, why and where they got the name Renouf I really do not know. There are no records of her marrying again ( Stewart ( Arthur) died of TB following WW1 - he was at Gallipoli and survived for the push up thro Palistine, he was in the Gloucestershire Yeomanry )

Her death certificate is also very strange as she is named as Renouf but it is abvious she wants to be recognised as Honey as in the occupation section she is described as widow of Arthur Stewart Honey. There are also 2 GRO entries. Added to all this is that until very recently I did not know of their existance, neither did my father who would have been Irene's nephew by marriage.We were all told Stewart had died in the War ! It really is a family mystery I would love to solve and find where Irene and Marjorie are buried. Many thanks for your help I will certainly look at Elsie Lavinia.

Back