• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

Barabella's was where sadly the NIA is now, (I saw Martha Reeves and the Vandellas there when I was 16) but Peppermint Place was almost next to Maxwell's Plum(wine bar) at Five Ways, both of which were favourite haunts when I was 16 onwards, Maxwells had a nightclub upstairs which was Maximillian's - did they have a disco floor that was illuminated or am I just wishing?

Yes, Maximillions did have an illuminated dance floor!! Caused many an accident when the DJ's used to put it on flash and the drunken dancers would fall over!!!

Thank you, Glynis, for a moment I thought I had imagined it! We had so many good nights downstairs at Maxwell's before we went "upstairs" or to Peppermint Place for a change of scenery!

Barbarella's was in Cumberland St off Broad St on the right heading out of town. I seem to remember the club being on the left about fifty yards down. It had multiple rooms often playing different music or bands. I think it belonged to the Fewtrells and some really legendary names played there especially in the punk era. It may be a false memory but I am sure Sid Vicious was at the bar the night Steel Pulse played there. After going there we used to head further up Broad St towards Five Ways to a cafe called the Tow Rope that used to be open all night. It wasn't always the most pleasant place but you could get a cup of tea any old time of night.

Hostaria (Hosteria?) Wine Bar was in Hurst St on the other side of the road from the Hippodrome but I can't remember exactly how far down it was. We used to go there with some people ever Thursday night for a year or so around 78/79. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post.

I had been wracking my brains to think of the name of this wine bar, and now have found it on here - Hosteria, where I drank my first jug of sangria!!! I asked about it when visiting the Diskery in Bromsgrove Street and the chap there told me it was approximately on the site where the Weatherspoon's pub is now on Hurst Street, but neither of us could remember the name!! Changing the subject a little bit, has anyone visited the Diskery? Very interesting place run by very informative staff. Re : Kahn & Bell - my husband spent a week's ages on a tigerskin (fake) waistcoat from there back in the day!

Barbarella's was in Cumberland St off Broad St on the right heading out of town. I seem to remember the club being on the left about fifty yards down. It had multiple rooms often playing different music or bands. I think it belonged to the Fewtrells and some really legendary names played there especially in the punk era. It may be a false memory but I am sure Sid Vicious was at the bar the night Steel Pulse played there. After going there we used to head further up Broad St towards Five Ways to a cafe called the Tow Rope that used to be open all night. It wasn't always the most pleasant place but you could get a cup of tea any old time of night.

Hostaria (Hosteria?) Wine Bar was in Hurst St on the other side of the road from the Hippodrome but I can't remember exactly how far down it was. We used to go there with some people ever Thursday night for a year or so around 78/79. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post.
I don't remember the Tow Rope, but my husband says it was a greasy spoon which had pin ball (hence his interest) But I do remember seeing Duran Duran at the Rum Runner, but sadly cannot remember the year...can any one help me on this?

Hosteria One rings a bell. It definitely had candles on the tables and you bought wine by the bottle.

I missed out on the Rum Runner but Duran Duran supported Hazel O'Connor when she toured the music from the movie Broken Glass. The movie was 1980 and the tour must have been 80/81. They launched massively off the back of that support tour. The Rum Runner time must have been before that I suppose,maybe 79.

Yes, it is nice that one of the things from (back in the day...) is still there, and that "real" records can stll be found - for all of us that still love vinyl/have a juke box/growing old disgracefully...

Yes, it was called Hosteria One, they played Bowie, Roxy "2 HB", dress as Bogart in "Casablanca", (good, though in concert in January this year!) Ultravox, Lou Reed... good times...

Hello, Peppermint Place was the old Post office converted, just by where the cinema is now. It belonged to Ronnie Williams who also had the Towrope cafe facing the Rum Runner. The club also traded as Chaplins for a while (early/mid 70's)
Laurie

Re: New Member- info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

Barbarellas..was my first club membership, it with in Cumberland St, just off Broad St, right hand side, going from town, 300 yards past the hall of Memory.
Practically opposite where the Hyatt hotel stands now.
That,s it, I remember now. Good club Barbarellas, you had to get there sharpish else you could,nt get in. Remember seeing The Dave Clark Five there.

Hi All,

I know there will be people out there can help me with my quest! I am trying to find the address of Barbarella's and Peppermint Place Nightclubs please!

I remember a small club on Corporation Street somewhere where Yates/The Crown are and I thought it was Barb's but a friend said no.....and we are both too young to remember (honestly)

I "remember Peppermint Place being on Broad Street by Five Ways but another friend said it was at the top of New Street!

And does anyone remember Hosteria's Wine Bar??

Please Help!:)
Hi
Barbarellas was one of Eddie fewtrells first clubs and was in John bright st near the futurist cinema
Sloopys was the club by the crown in corporation st
It was a downstairs disco
Peppermint place was on broad st
Bk

I don't know anything about the 70's club scene in Birmingham as the 60's was my time for night clubbing in Birmingham (what few there were), but I always thought that Barbarellas was just around the corner from Broad Street on Cumberland Street, somewhere around what is now called Brindley Place.

Barbarella's was definitely in Cumberland Street. Eddie Fewtrell did own a club on John Bright Street called Rebecca's, it was on three floors.

Last edited:
As I said earlier Barbarellas and all that "New Age" stuff was a long time after my night clubbing days were finished. So having no personal experience of the club I have just looked it up, it doesn't appear in the trade directories until 1973/74 and the address is 41 Cumberland Street. According to the directory that puts it on or near the corner of Cumberland Street and Oozles Street North. Oddly according to the 1950 map number 41 should be on the other side of the road up near Broad Street, perhaps Mike might be able to sort it out.

Phil.
The map below shows the numbering. I have added the number of the brass foundry (26), which shows that the numbering went from Broad st no 1,2,3... on south side (or west as described in Kellys) to Oozells st north, then directly across road to the brass foundry (no 26) then down the other side, which would make no 41 close to Broad St on the north (or east) side

Attachments

• map c 1950 cumberland st.jpg
    map c 1950 cumberland st.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 22
  • map c 1950 cumberland st.jpg
    map c 1950 cumberland st.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
Mike

That's exactly how I worked it out as well, but Kelly's must have the wrong number because this later map shows a club where the brassworks were at the junction of Oozles St North & Cumberland St.

Attachments

• cumberland st.JPG
    cumberland st.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
As the lawyer on Alan Partridge said, "I rest my case".

11887924_1050685581610294_4946191142837098522_n.jpg

latest

Last edited:
Unless anyone can find a large photo showing surroundings. then I think this is as good as we will get

cture

Saw Duran Duran at the Rum Runner and went to Peppermint Place (Top of Broad St) at the time that Maxwells/Maximillian's were around at Five Ways....good times, especially considering my parents thought I was at our local church youth club...

Esteemed Brummies does anyone remember what road Holy City Zoo was on ? It was in some railway arches over the north side of the city centre. End of the 70s/start of the 80s was the era.

Back