• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In Search of England

Ann Steiner

master brummie
I don't know if this book has been mentioned before, but if not, I would recommend In Search of England, by Henry Morton. (It was originally published in 1927 and has been reprinted.) I'm well into it and enjoying it thoroughly. The author's writing style is lovely and the descriptions of little villages and sites are a pleasure to imagine. I would guess that most of what he saw and describes has either disappeared entirely, or is so greatly changed as to be unrecognizable, but it's pleasant to picture in one's mind how life was at that time.

Ann

Hi Ann: I was given H.V. Morton's book many years ago and enjoyed reading it very much. I noticed it again the other day in my bookshelf and now because of your post I will take it out for another airing. Thanks for posting.

I have a 1947 edition left to me by my mother a few years ago.Apparently by then there had been 35 reprints! The frontispiece photograph appears to be of a group of shire horses passing a half-timbered cottage. Wonderful!

Jennyann -- I hope you enjoy reading your copy again. I've been reading a chapter each night before I go to bed, and it's a pleasant way to drift off to sleep, recollecting what he had to say that evening.

Richie -- I wonder how many more printings there have been since yours! It has to say something for the value and appreciation of the man's work. The photo on your cover sounds lovely. The one on this library edition I have is a narrow village street, with a woman peeking out of a doorway on the left, and another woman walking away from the camera. It doesn't give the location.

The person who wrote the introduction in this version states, "Later in life Morton was to develop more sophisticated attitudes, and the writing of his universally admired last books appealed to a more demanding readership ....... England is not like this any more, and nobody writes nowadays as the young H.V. Morton wrote 75 years ago." Part of the charm of the book is his writing style, but I suspect his other books are equally as engaging to read, and I will look for them too!

Ann

Morton's father was editor of the Birmingham Mail, and he was educated at King Edward's School (when it was in New Street). Surprised no-one has posted this.

His travel books were good, but he himself was something of an elitist - he didn't have a lot of time for the ordinary working-man of this country.

Big Gee

Jennyann -- I hope you enjoy reading your copy again. I've been reading a chapter each night before I go to bed, and it's a pleasant way to drift off to sleep, recollecting what he had to say that evening.

Richie -- I wonder how many more printings there have been since yours! It has to say something for the value and appreciation of the man's work. The photo on your cover sounds lovely. The one on this library edition I have is a narrow village street, with a woman peeking out of a doorway on the left, and another woman walking away from the camera. It doesn't give the location.

The person who wrote the introduction in this version states, "Later in life Morton was to develop more sophisticated attitudes, and the writing of his universally admired last books appealed to a more demanding readership ....... England is not like this any more, and nobody writes nowadays as the young H.V. Morton wrote 75 years ago." Part of the charm of the book is his writing style, but I suspect his other books are equally as engaging to read, and I will look for them too!

Ann

I will try and send a photo attachment-although the original is very weak in brightness. Also I don't want to bend the book too much to get it copied!

Here's the front cover of my 1947 edition, followed by the title page photo I mentioned. Sorry I'm a bit overdue-forgotten I'd yet to make the posting. Doh!

Thanks for the two photos, Richie. I very much like the image on the cover, as it reminds me of books I used to read when young. And the photo of the country lane, on the title page, is lovely.

Ann

Back