• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

I'm Searching for David Downing.

yogimon

master brummie
I am trying to find some information regarding the War records of my husband's late Grandfather David Downing. David's address on the 1911 census is Gilbert Rd Smethwick Worcs. Unfortunately i do not know what regiment David was in but i know that he had injuries to his face caused in conflict, he may have joined the Royal Worcesters/warwickshires. David also had 2 brothers Thomas Joseph and William David who were possibly conscripted due to their ages. David married Emily Lawrence in 1917 i'm not sure if he was invalided out due to his injuries.I realise that this is not much to go on but i would be more than happy if anyone could help me or tell me where i should go in order to obtain this information. Many Thanks.. Eileen

I think a lot of the First World War Service records got destroyed during the 2nd World War during the Blitz but the medal records survived so you maybe able to search the medal records and find out the regiment from that. I think the records can be searched on Ancestry.com but at a price. If you can find out the regiment they may have a web site or a museum which may have some information. Good luck

[h=3]Just on the National Archive site and done a quick search, using just David Downing it returns 19 hits, from the 19 there is one David Downing listed for the Worcestershire Regiment and gives his regiment number as 8867, to get the full details from the card costs £3.36

[/h]

Thanks for the info. It looks like it may be the David Downing i am looking for. How do i go about getting the card so that i can check the details. Many thanks Yogimon. ( i am using my sisters lap top at present)

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

sorry i thought i'd posted the link to the National Archives site, if you click on the link above, go to the bottom of the page and fill in the details you know, name and regiment number, then press search, it will open another page with some details on it but not the full details, if you click on the blue writing on these details, where it starts Medal Card of Downing, David, this will open up yet another page where it states the price, £3.36, add to basket then it appears in your shopping basket, at the top right hand side of the page, click on basket, then view basket, complete the transaction by whatever payment method you choice, just like shopping! Hope this helps

I think you're best saving your money the information contained on a Medal Roll card will not be of any advantage to you in your search, it only gives the following

Name
Regiment
Regimental No.
Medal entitlement
Theatre of War & date entered.
No further information is supplied

The details above may not be the one you are after, they just fit the profile you have, there are a number of David Downings and many D. Downings listed on Ancestry, the only way to confirm details would be if Service or Pension records exist for him, these would confirm addresses next of kin etc.however my quick search hasn't brought any possible records up but as dwilly says over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed in an air rain during September 1940.

Colin

Thanks Colin, i am trying to find some info out about a medal i've been given and was going to buy a record card to see if it included a date of birth, you've saved me doing that now.

Hope I haven't mislead Eileen in anyway, as you say, i've made the person fit the profile, guess we all do that at some stage to try and help us but ultimately may just cause grief if its the wrong info.

Hi Eileen

There is a D Downing listed in the National Roll of The Great War Section VI Birmingham. This one was in the Royal Engineers and lived at 7 Back of 387 Heath St, Winson Green, Birmingham. The address would be after the War. Perhaps this is your relative!!!
PS;
There are also listings for J & W Downing but not at the address you have given.

Tony

Back