• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ice lollies without a stick

Anyone remember Jubblies in the triangular Packaging?
Yes !!. They were a treat for me from the shop at the junction of Barn Street and Milk Street when I was a little person.

Amazingly, I can get them over here, the triangle is slightly smaller and I can't be sure of the name.

I mentioned these to my husband yesterday and neither of us could remember the name. They came in a long thin plastic tube and I can remember a blue one - what could have been in it?!

Probably E133. Appetising now isn't it ?

0eIF7EF8icepops.jpg
Source: https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/uploads/0eIF7EF8icepops.jpg

Like these ?

Andrew.

I remember these being 3d. Most of the time we couldn't afford them and had to do with 1d 'Ice Pols' as we called them. One flavour that was never very popular was mint - could this have been the blue one?
If you were lucky enough to get a Jubbly you'd suck all the juice out and be left with a lump of ice which invariably got thrown and kicked about the street.
1659985038585.png

Vimto ones are still available. I loved real Jubblies. (I've got some "Slushy" ice pops in the freezer too!)
rosie.

I remember these being 3d. Most of the time we couldn't afford them and had to do with 1d 'Ice Pols' as we called them. One flavour that was never very popular was mint - could this have been the blue one?
If you were lucky enough to get a Jubbly you'd suck all the juice out and be left with a lump of ice which invariably got thrown and kicked about the street.
View attachment 172152
There was also a similar one called Calypso. The lettering on the packaging was quite florid and when we first saw it we had no idea what the name of the drink was. One of our number decided to buy one and went into the shop and asked for a "Gallypig" which as 12 yr old schoolboys we had decided that that was it's name. The puzzled shopkeeper thought he was being clever and kicked him out of the shop. :laughing:

There was also a similar one called Calypso. The lettering on the packaging was quite florid and when we first saw it we had no idea what the name of the drink was. One of our number decided to buy one and went into the shop and asked for a "Gallypig" which as 12 yr old schoolboys we had decided that that was it's name. The puzzled shopkeeper thought he was being clever and kicked him out of the shop. :laughing:
I bet that was Goodes newsagent at the end of Cranes Park Road? Favourite stop off on a hot summer's day when coming out of Mapledene school. A trestle was set up in the shop each afternoon to attract passing school trade. It was laden with items for 1d or less, chewing gum, chews (4 for 1d) - fruit salad, flying saucers, shrimps, swizzels, parma violets and bojos (liquorice chews - not Boris). Ice lolly's in a plastic tube were a novelty, prior to which we had to do with 1d ice lollys on a stick, served from a brown cardboard box! It's quite funny recalling the large queues of anxious kids wanting to be served while a frustrated lady shopkeeper tried to get an indecisive customer to choose something to the value of 1d!

The more expensive sweets, Jamboree Lucky Bags, sherbert dips, Love Hearts etc were behind a glass counter at the side of the shop probably because we had only pennies and half pennies to spend!

View attachment 172152
Only just realised they were marketed as a drink - I wonder who first thought of freezing them?

I bet that was Goodes newsagent at the end of Cranes Park Road? Favourite stop off on a hot summer's day when coming out of Mapledene school. A trestle was set up in the shop each afternoon to attract passing school trade. It was laden with items for 1d or less, chewing gum, chews (4 for 1d) - fruit salad, flying saucers, shrimps, swizzels, parma violets and bojos (liquorice chews - not Boris). Ice lolly's in a plastic tube were a novelty, prior to which we had to do with 1d ice lollys on a stick, served from a brown cardboard box! It's quite funny recalling the large queues of anxious kids wanting to be served while a frustrated lady shopkeeper tried to get an indecisive customer to choose something to the value of 1d!

The more expensive sweets, Jamboree Lucky Bags, sherbert dips, Love Hearts etc were behind a glass counter at the side of the shop probably because we had only pennies and half pennies to spend!
The penny tray! I think it was called.

Strangely enough it wasn't. This happened one afternoon coming home from school in the sweet shop on Vicarage Rd., Kings Heath. Can't remember it's name now but was in the row of shops just down from Cartland Rd and was opposite the Sunshine Cafe where they sold massive slabs of bread pudding, delicious.
I bought my first sweets from the shop you mentioned but then it was run by Mr & Mrs Adams who sold it on to Wally Goode. One of my memories of Goodes was buying my first cigarettes from there. A couple of woodbines and a few matches wrapped in a sweetie bag and sold to me by the younger of his sons whose name was Tony I think.

Not familiar with Vicarage Road. But you are right, the son was Tony Goode. Mom used to send me to buy a pack of five Woodbines or if she was hard up just one or two. He would break open the packet and put them in a small triangular paper bag- the sort they served rainbow cali in. My Nan didn't smoke but used to send me to get a tin of Wilson's SP No.1 snuff. Wouldn't be allowed today!

The lady that served in the shop was Mrs Sparks who lived in Whitecroft Road.

Last edited:
View attachment 172152
Ha Ha, Monday morning, 5 park drive and a jubbly with the school dinner money, 1962 .

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Back