• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ian Lavender RIP

Such sad news that the last surviving member of the Dad's Army cast, is no longer with us. One of the great shows and it stands the test of time, I can watch it again and again. He was a Brummie too and went to Bournville Technical School, before moving onto The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School with the assistance of a grant from the City of Birmingham. HEITS!

1707163169806.png 1707163285811.png 1707163560416.png

Such sad news that the last surviving member of the Dad's Army cast, is no longer with us. One of the great shows and it stands the test of time, I can watch it again and again. He was a Brummie too and went to Bournville Technical School, before moving onto The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School with the assistance of a grant from the City of Birmingham. HEITS!

View attachment 188791 View attachment 188792 View attachment 188793
john i was there the day carl..ian and jasper was at centenary square...plenty of laffs that day

lyn

Ian Lavender has passed away aged 77.
I was very surprised to read this, I guess because we tend to still think of him as the 'boy' in Dad's Army.
RIP Ian

Don't give him your name pike.... best gag I ever heard in my life ... R.I.P. mate.... Last of the army....

Sorry to hear sad news yesterday about Ian Lavender. I was at Bournville Boy's Technical Grammar school between 1952 -1958 so Ian would have would have attended 2-3 years later than me. I remember the school had a very good drama society and put on some excellent production. Ian later had stage roles as Romeo and Pontious Pilate . He liked drama, Aston Villa and girls. There was a seperate girl's school on the same site off Griffins Brook Lane in Bournville - happy days

How sad about Ian. Anyone know exactly where in Birmingham he came from?
From the Bromsgrove newspaper ...

Mr Lavender, who grew up in Longbridge and went to Bournville Technical College, featured in the show which spanned nine series between 1968 and 1977.​

I was at Villa Park last night and they did a nice tribute to Ian last night (part of which was also shown before the game on ITV). The Dad's Army music was played and some photographs of "Pike" were shown on the scoreboard.

Back