• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

I remember Blankets

H

harborne

We used to draped blankets around (off) the shoulders and pretend we were the great film stars of the day. Blankets were great for making tents with, too. Easy pleased, weren't we. Now I can't get enough techno stuff. :D

Harborne

Harborne, I loved a blanket too we used to put one over the clothes dryer to make a tent. We were clearing out the garage last week and I was a little sad to throw out, a very moth eaten dyed blanket that my mother told me was used as a black out curtain.:(

That's a shame Wendy, but at least it served its purpose. You should buy yourself a nice fancy one now to make up for it.

Harborne

I love Blankets must be Whitney had some of Moms when she passed on and I'm sure they were what we had when we lived in Aston. Can't stand those Do nothing things with Togs in em:D

Last edited:
My daughter as 2 Blankets just for her children (3 & 7) to play with, they love them. Oh I like them Tog things :D
Happt saint Georges Day.

Of course, we all had blankets years ago mostly for use on our beds.
We sometimes needed a lot just to keep warm and very often they had to be aired so that they wouldn't become damp in the none heated bedrooms.
My brother and I used to get up very early on Sundays and cover the kitchen table with a blanket and then crawl underneath and pretend we were in a cave. It was lots of fun. At the sound of our parents stirring upstairs we would grab the blanket and take it back upstairs. I still have a couple of wool blankets that we had given to us for a wedding present 32 years ago.

Me and my younger brother used to make a tent with a blanket and the clothes horse, it was great fun, I've still got my moms blankets, they still look new, they come in handy when the grandkids come round, I put one on the lawn and they have a picnic.

hi all ,we had blankets as well,we needed them too where we lived in Cromwell st, we used to have frost on the inside of the windows,
what with our brick stone water bottles but we survived it kiddie winks?
as a stand by we had the trusty army coat the brass buttons used to catch you, and they were cold?
happy days regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
Use to have frost Inside and Out we still do Derek:)

Last edited:
We used to have frost on the inside of the windows too. As well as the blankets, I remember the coats!

Tsk..you kids..
I think I was about 40 before I learned how to sleep without someones toe stuck up my nose..top and tailing indeed.

As a child I was well wrapped up each night, so tight in fact that I lay there till morning waiting for Mom to release me, now years on I wonder whether this was entirely to keep me warm or whether it was to stop me wandering around. It was a forerunner to the straight jacket I would become familier with later in life. :)
My bed was a utility type, steel tubing not to dissimilar to scaffolding pipes, a sort of Desperate Dan contraption. Flannelette top and bottom sheets (candy striped) two woollen blanket folded at the bottom, during the summer these were finished off with a candlewick bedspread sometimes maroon sometimes Pink that was decided by my sister. Winter time the Eider down was used; where it was kept during the summer I have on idea.
My favourite blanket had 'The property of Hallam Hospital' stamped on it. It had been used to wrap Granny up in when we brought her home to die. I used it to play at 'cowboys'. It was thick, very light with large mesh holes in which you could poke a 'Buntline Special through and pick off the desperadoes. It made Granny laugh when I wore it in the style that Clint Eastwood was the steal much later on. Best thing about the blanket was that I could fold it many times until it was about a yard square and almost a foot thick. It was thrown over the landing bannister and mounted like a horse's saddle. I rode miles and miles on Sunday evenings on that trusty steed with Granny keeping a watchful eye on me from her sick bed. Hi-O-Silver
Years later when Duvets became popular, blankets were relegated to being draped over the hot water tank their usefulness had run their course.
The marketing machine for Duvet manufactures brought it to our attention that during an evening of blissful sleep our breathing in and out had raised the combined weight of sheets, blankets, eiderdowns equivalent to 2 tonnes. No wonder I was always tired in the morning.
I bought my Mom and Dad their first Quilt for a Christmas gift extolling the virtue of simplicity, ease, comfort and warmth. After a few days I asked Mom what she thought of the duvet. As a Mom she wouldn't dream of upsetting my feelings and showing any degree of ingratitude but she said they had gone back to blankets, "it was what they were used to, they had always had them and were too old to change, whats more" she said "it was awkward for dad to undo the press-studs of the quilt cover in the dark when he needed to pay a visit".

Last edited by a moderator:
"it was awkward for dad to undo the press-studs of the quilt cover in the dark when he needed to pay a visit".[/quote]

Loved that last part Langy, made me laugh out loud - that's just the sort of thing my lot would have said!

And mine Charlie:D

We always had flannelette sheets, blanket and eiderdown. But the best part of my bed was the mattress, filled with F E A T H E R S, it was like sleeping in heaven on bed changing day:)

In rememberance of Blankets & Dads big heavy coat :)

Presuming most of us, children of the 50,s-60,s & definitely the earlier kids of
our collective,,shall we say "colourful" similar upbringing,,Urmh, maybe drag-uppances ;)
Have retrospective (Fond) memories of "comfort blankets & The coat",,
Sisters,,them girly things (3 of :cry: ) usually had flannelette (thanks for spelling Di ) sheets,
Bro & i,, just scratchy blanket, (2 in winter + The Coat) ooh! Heaven

Fortunately i think All of us have ensured our little darlings,,Never had quite the same,
Thankfully our Duvet Doved loved ones will never know, but they can smile at our reminiscing,
Strangely my son & daughter always dropped off to sleep as nippers when my Big coat thrown over them :p
So we blanketed them in comfort too,,, Cheers JohnY

I remember reading in the paper about Laangys Granny passing away..I think his Mom was quoted as saying 'The family can't understand it, how could she possibly have died from Hypothermia? we thought Granny had more than enough blankets..'
So the truth is out you..you...you masked blanket stealer..your own damning account has been passed to the DPS, expect to hear off them fairly soon.

We had some ex army blankets,they were grey with a broad blue stripe,but what about the smell of them cotton sheets when the came back from the laundry,mom used to put the sheets in a pillow case string round top with a blue book attached

Doe's any one else remember that blue book,we also had frost inside and out,thats probably why i love a cold beedroom and snuggle under the what is now a quilt

Mossy:)

My Mom made my sister and I blanket/Quilts similar to this one, out of old coats and old curtains.
View attachment 13119
Our brother just had the old coats slung on his bed, no fancy curtains for him.:) She may have been a handful my Mom, but she was very clever with a needle and thread.

Pom :angel:

My bed was a single one, of course, and stood against the wall in the smallest bedroom. I was the only son and this was my den.
I would frequently play beneath my bed and felt secure and safe under it. It was my world.

One day, alone in the house, I retired to my den and pulled a blanket over the bed and drapped it so it fully enclosed my area. I had taken a candle and matches with me and on striking the match it happened.
The springs of the bed were covered by a very fiberous, loose haired protector. The flame ignited the hairs and a sheet of flame spread the full length of the bed above me.
The blanket I had pulled down to enclose me now hindered my panic escape from the possible incinerator I had found myself in.
Luckily the flame having fed on the hairs extinguished itself.

Lesson learned never play with matches and I do not believe my parents ever found out they had a budding arsonist in the house.
Will.

Feather matresses Di.....I had one of those, like been cocooned in a soft warm nest.
I knew it was old, so didn't take any notice of the stains, then my Auntie told Gran had died in that bed. Oh well...'just a closer walk with thee' and all that!

:skull: I remember my brother creeping along the landing making ghostly noises one dark night. The door slowly opened and in the doorway stood what I thought was a ghost. Of course it was Albert with a sheet over his head. I suppose he was getting his own back for the times I'd stuck a pin in his bum or sat in the middle of his trainset. TTFN. Jean.:skull:

We had scratchy grey blankets, a couple of brown hard ones and a yellowed woolly one which was a bit fragile! I was forever poking holes in the sheets they were so old. Didn't shake the eiderdown too hard as the feathers would fly everywhere, it was impossible to mend so we made a bag for it......they call it a duvet-cover now!!
rosie.

Back