• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunters Road Hockley

barrie

master brummie
Can anyone help me with a photo of Hunters Road please? My family lived there from 1943 to 1954, we lived down the alley at the side of the "Bridge Tavern". At the bottom of the alley was a firm called Savilles that cleaned out beer barrels, and a firm that made gravestones, I think they were called Teroni, or something like that.

My ma in law lived in a maissonette in Hunters Vale but it was later than you I think, end of the 50's and my wife worked in a factory thereabouts that made Excaliber watch bracelets. E.

Eric Gibson said:
My ma in law lived in a maissonette in Hunters Vale but it was later than you I think, end of the 50's and my wife worked in a factory thereabouts that made Excaliber watch bracelets. E.

Eric. I remember the maisonettes in Hunters Vale. During the war there was a Static Water Tank outside them. There was a Samuels The Jewellers in Hunters Road, perhaps thats where the watch bracelets were made.

barrie.

Barrie
Kelly's 1949 shows R.Piccioni Ltd.marble merchants at 18A & 60 Hunter Road

That was them Colin. We lived in a yard of 4 houses just next to them at the bottom of the alley, it was called Prospect Place, but we called it poverty place. ;D

hi eric
that watch place was at the end of the block of the masonettes in hunter vale and just around the corner from that little company a i recall it was where
they built samuels warehouse and the cross the road bridge was also built once the ware house was completed i think it was around the 1961 2 year
and my oldest brother got a job there when they first set up shop in the stores wares house and there ware house delivery backed on to that little place you remember
best wishes astonion

yet another wonderful pic topsy..i am going to study the faces in the crowd....

barrie...in topsys pic on post 7 are we getting any closer to where you lived....

thanks for posting it...

lyn

Last edited:
thats a great picture of t bridge, i used to work at H.Samuel, and must have walked that bridge a thousand times.

can anyone remember the shops on the left hand side of Samuels down to Hockley Brook ..have been searching for a pic for years

i worked there from 1972 - 75, mainly in the gold dept, good job didnt think so at the time

hi maggie
yes i can recall the old shops down on the left hand sidegoing towards the brook
and one of them was where a cooker shop that sold second hand cookers a friend of mine used to work there after school
and the big old pub on the corner at the brook
best wishes astonion alan

maggie im still searching for any pics of those shops you are after...one will turn up eventually...

topsy royalty certainly graced our little streets...unless you have already seen it on the brearley st thread there should be a pic of edward who abdicated to marry mrs simpson on a walkabout of brearley st...i think the date of that was 1934..

lyn

hi lynn
those pictures was posted on this site about four years ago
also with the copper on point duty along with the number 8 bus stop going towards aston which would have gone down towards farm st in those days may be postie can dig them out
have a nice day best wishes astonion

morning alan....i will have a look for them...hope you have good day yourself and stay warm...

lyn

yet another wonderful pic topsy..i am going to study the faces in the crowd....

barrie...in topsys pic on post 7 are we getting any closer to where you lived....

thanks for posting it... lyn
Yes thank you Lyn. On the left of the photo there is a gable end of a building (its painted black) that was the Bridge Tavern, and we lived down the opening at the side of the pub. By 1957 we had moved to Wellesley Street and I had been demobbed for some months, but I don't remember the royal visit, perhaps I was away on a training course for Post Office Telephones.

Wonderful picture Topsy, thank you for posting it.

Barrie.

hi topsy...popped down the old end ealier and took a now pic to go with your then one...couldnt get it smack on im afraid as the traffic wouldnt allow me stand in the middle of the road today..lol

lyn

great barrie..we are getting closer then..ive added the bridge tavern on my list of pics to search for when i next go to search the archives at the library...if we can get a full on shot of the pub the opening that you lived down should be on it...:)

lyn

thanks john...i just took 3 pics and ran for cover..very slippy underfoot too:rolleyes: will try and find out what the occassion was as i too would be interested to know the reason for the visit..

lyn:)

my pleasure barrie...must say my list of looks ups is getting longer by the day as i have not been to the library for ages now...i may just take a packed lunch with me...:D will get back to you...

lyn

hi topsy....yes its certainly changed round there...i was standing on the opposite side to the carnegie..so pleased that is still there..our mom used to go there for the little bottles of organge juice for us kids...happy days though...:)

lyn

Smashing photo of the Carnegie Infant Welfare building in Hunters Rd. I remember going there to the nursery school as a babby. Lovely orange juice, but horrible Virol and cod liver oil. Max

Old post card showing St Francis Church, interesting how it was classed as being in Handsworth then. Max

thanks for that topsy...yes the carnegie mentioned in the clip is in hunters road as you know..but i believe that before this it was known as hunters lane...

lyn

Back