• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'Huckster' shopkeeper

maccalenny

proper brummie kid
Hi - wonder if someone can help. Two members of my family are described on various certs etc as 'huckster' shopkeepers - wondered if anyone knew what it means?

Thanks!

huckster Noun
1. a person who uses aggressive methods of selling
2. Now rare a person who sells small articles or fruit in the street [probably from Middle Dutch hoekster]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006

Perhaps not: the term has remained for its derogatory use, but most Hucksters were honest people working hard for a meagre living as a middleman (of both sexes, natch).
E.L. Henry's work is, rather like ours, the recording of recent history in the locations we know. He never achieved great fame, as neither do the press photographers of today, but to future generations (ours in Henry's case) they picture for us the history that is but a forgotten memory once the eye witnesses have passed.

The detail (my interest with such scenes) is perfect. The roadside tree, by then established 3 or 4 decades, has grown such that its roots lift the pavement (sorry, sidewalk) stones: the prospective buyer, studying the produce carefully: the Huckster, her attitude daring him to find any fault: the dog, hoping for a treat: and the horse, probably once frightened by a dog, watching it closely.

I couldn't agree more Lloyd, I love this picture. What is often termed 'Chocolate Box' is often an accurate rendering of lost scenes, albeit a tad idealised ... but no more so than any of us to day, choosing the best angle/aspect/vista for our photographs.

There were several small shops in the street i grew up in and surrounding streets, these shops in the 50s sold grocery, greengrocery
bundles of wood for the fire,and often little household items,tin openers small stuff like that, they were all known by our mom's and dads as Hucksters,of course us kids being so much more fashionable called them the shop.

hi - thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I love the painting! Doesn't look much like Deritend does it.......! Thanks Liz for your memories - that sounds just like what I know of the shops - strange how words move in and out of the language isn't it.

Kate

hi - thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I love the painting! Doesn't look much like Deritend does it.......! Thanks Liz for your memories - that sounds just like what I know of the shops - strange how words move in and out of the language isn't it.

Kate
Certainly is Kate, the one thing most of our little Huckster/shops had in common was there was always a little chair for the customer to sit on,and they opened late,

Something which always impressed me when I went with mum to buy things from a local shop was the way the shopkeeper would put the item in a paper bag, grab the two corners of the bag and swing it over a couple of times to form two twists to keep the bag closed.

I'd also watched my mum do this many times in her cake/bread shop. She'd load the bag with buns etc and round they'd go, no squashing or damage. Amazing. Funny the details you remember.Viv

Back