• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Howes bakery

sistersue61

master brummie
Dad lived in Victoria Street until 1939, and his family had a house with a large yard and stables where thay looked after the horses from Howes bakery until the horses were taken for war service.
Does anyone have any memories or more info about Howes?
Sue

The bakery could have been on Muntz Street I think, dad definitely said Howes, will check again tomorrow when I see him!
Sue

hi sister; there was a bakery up by muntz street many years ago but i do beleive it was somet6hink else
if you traveled from walford rd and continue up the golden hillock rd and passing the park exit and just before you it the coventry rd
on that stregh it lay back i think the sunlight laudry took over there building and it was almost facing st james club
the club was next to the southalls solictors it was a private gents club; but getting back on track regarding the bakery it left and went down to a street in
i beleive from my memory redhill rd hay mills but orininaly yes there was the bakery around where you was thinking of
in later years of the late sixys there was anotherlittle bakers premises opemend up and i think that one was called sunny side bakeries it was a small enterprize ;supplied couple of shops localy only ;thenthey stopped making the bread andcreated pukka pies only which took off in the fish and chips shops only
best wishes astonian

hi sistersue
if i stand corrected i think and i do beleive the name you are thinking of for the bakery was where i said it was called madina bakerys
which was about two hundred yards from the corner of coventry rd its wherethe number eight bus came after crossing the cov; rd from muntz street
to travel on to golden hillock rd then down you would be pasing the old BSA ; thats where you mean thats where the bakerywas then it moved down into hay mills in the seventys ; red hill rd then it became a big laundry out let ; which supplied the prison service and hospitals clean linnens ;
its surplyed winson green prison orinioanly ; then got contract for allmost all gov; properties such as there prisons andhomes and hospitals
then later in years the home office had a big laundry servicesput into most of there institutes then it became sunlightlaundries of all types of cleaning ;
and later because of there demands for the delivery services to these prisons they advertised for delivery drvers mates to deliver to these prisons and hollowayprison in london used to make the james for all the other prisons around the country and at a later stage the goverment installed most of its prisons with laundry thats why the laundry of goldn hillock changed it name to sun light and concertrated on normal bussiness for ruggs and matts and hotels ;
because they lost there contract for prisons and to keep in busssines they had to rebuild on those lines
but you will find its medina was the bakery ;; have a nice day best wishes astonian

In the 1939 directory for Muntz st there is a
155 & 157 House JN Edwin Baker,

QUOTE=sistersue61;431713]The bakery could have been on Muntz Street I think, dad definitely said Howes, will check again tomorrow when I see him!
Sue[/QUOTE]

in 1939 the laundry was know as

71 Brighton Laundries (Bham Ltd) receiving Office

hi sistersue
if i stand corrected i think and i do beleive the name you are thinking of for the bakery was where i said it was called madina bakerys
which was about two hundred yards from the corner of coventry rd its wherethe number eight bus came after crossing the cov; rd from muntz street
to travel on to golden hillock rd then down you would be pasing the old BSA ; thats where you mean thats where the bakerywas then it moved down into hay mills in the seventys ; red hill rd then it became a big laundry out let ; which supplied the prison service and hospitals clean linnens ;
its surplyed winson green prison orinioanly ; then got contract for allmost all gov; properties such as there prisons andhomes and hospitals
then later in years the home office had a big laundry servicesput into most of there institutes then it became sunlightlaundries of all types of cleaning ;
and later because of there demands for the delivery services to these prisons they advertised for delivery drvers mates to deliver to these prisons and hollowayprison in london used to make the james for all the other prisons around the country and at a later stage the goverment installed most of its prisons with laundry thats why the laundry of goldn hillock changed it name to sun light and concertrated on normal bussiness for ruggs and matts and hotels ;
because they lost there contract for prisons and to keep in busssines they had to rebuild on those lines
but you will find its medina was the bakery ;; have a nice day best wishes astonian

Hi All,

There was a cake shop in Muntz Street which I passed every day on the way to school in Somerville Road. The shop was at the Green Lane end of Muntz Street. If there was a bakery attached it was only a small one. I lived in Carlton Road and Victoria Street was behind our house. Immmediately at the rear of our house was a big yard that belonged to Tennants Furniture Removals and their horses were kept in stables in the yard. They were not requisioned during the war but were killed by a bomb which destroyed most of the buildings and Tennants wagons. As far as I am aware that ended Tennants business completely. Perhaps I should mention that our house was badly damaged also and we had to move to live with my sister in Marcot Road, South Yardley. My parents moved back to Carlton Road after the war by which time I was in the Royal Navy.

Old Boy

Old Boy, you are correct, it was Houses bakery and some of dads rels lived in Carlton Road, though the family had become estranged, dad lived at 45 Victoria Street and moved to Stechford when he was 9 in 1940 - the family name was Payne and he was brought up by his grandad Albert - who looked after the horses and had had a milk round previously - and his spinster aunts Cecilia, Winifred, Molly and his bachelor uncle Bill. His dad was Andrew, marrid to Lilian, they lived in Wash Lane, but nan had a breakdown when dad was 2, and was in Hollymoor for dads childhood. Dads older brother Ronald and sister Winifred also lived with them.
Thanks for the info,and to you too Astonian, will share your memories with dad, I.m sure he will know all the places you mention.
Sue

Old Boy, dad says which end of Carlton Road did you live and was Tenents yard at the Bordesley Green end? Apparently the house he lived in, 45, was bombed and destroyed along with the 3 houses around it. The house was opposite The Vine pub and he says do you remember the lightening strike on it - late 1930's. He has come up with lots of other names too, Walkers the cycle shop where the acculators were charged, the grrengrocers opposite that, whose name he can't recall. Also the Penny Crush at Green Lanes cinema - will put that on the cinema thread too!Breezes(?) sweet shop on Green Lane and finally the landlord of Victoria Street, Mr Twose (?)not sure of spelling. He also used to walk towards Somerville Road but went to the Catholic school.
Would be great to share your memories and see if you may have known each other - final question, dad remembers playing with a group of lads a bit older than him from Carlton Road, one of them told dad his name was Kenny Boardaneasel, when dad told his aunts he was barred from playing with them again, we wonder if they were the rels the rift was with. Dad ws 80 at Xmas and would have been 8 or 9 when they moved.
Sue

Sue,

I am a bit pushed for time at the moment as her indoors is calling me for lunch. I will reply in full ASAP

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi Sue,

I lived at 44, Carlton Road which was in the middle. When you say that your Dad lived at No 45 I presume that you mean Victoria Street. I do not remember The Vine P H being struck by lightning a;though it may well have been. Wlkers sold radios as well as bikes. They had 2 sons , Wilfred and, I believe, Raymond. After the war Raymond carried on the family tradition by opening a shop in Witton Road selling TVs and the like. The greengrocer was Blandfords aand they sold, what we called .'specks This was slightly damaged or overripe fruit. I remember Breezes and who could forget the penny crush at Green Lane Picture House. I knew 2 Kennys in Carlton Road, Mitchell and Russell; Tennants yard was in the middle of Victoria Street. I am a little older than your Dad being 85 next birthday unless the grim reaper gets me first.

A lttle later on I will contact you by I M rather than bore all the other members of this Forum.

Chris Beresford

Last edited:
I worked for Bill Bloye the sculptor in an old house with a studio behind it on Golden Hillock Road, Do you remember it? there was a roundabout down the street that the BSA bike, test riders roared around, dug groves in the road. I do remember a bakery aroud there towards the Cov rd, rode my bike to work every day from Yardley and seem to remember going by it. John Crump OldBrit ParkerCo

John, I know Golden Hillock Road, but not a lot about it, will ask dad on Monday when I see him next, it was his area until he was 8 and moved to Stechford, but he went to Holy Family School after that.
Sue

Back