• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How to soften new clothing

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Please as any one got any tips on how to soften new polo/tshirts i have bought a few and they are rough and stiff any advice will be welcome.

Just wash and dry them a few times.
Then wear and wash - they should soften.
I have a few pairs of jeans, Wranglers and Levi’s . When I buy them usually two pairs at a time (don’t ask but I’m not a big shopper). The Wranglers started out fine, however on pair after a year is getting stiffer and stiffer. My wife who is a fabric sewing person, clothes, quilts etc has tried everything to get that one pair softened up. We have a dryer an$ tried everything, liquid softeners, softeners in the soap those non woven types that go in the dryer to no avail! Janice I hope you are right ( that’s what we thought) but that one pair of Wranglers has something in it that makes it so stiff!

An "Old wive's " remedy is to put vinegar in the rinsing water of towels but I've never tried it! I can't remember the name of that stuff which stops limescale in washing machine but I used to use it to soften nappies. Sometimes there is too much "dressing" in fabric and it need several washes to get it out.
rosie.

An "Old wive's " remedy is to put vinegar in the rinsing water of towels but I've never tried it! I can't remember the name of that stuff which stops limescale in washing machine but I used to use it to soften nappies. Sometimes there is too much "dressing" in fabric and it need several washes to get it out.
rosie.
i have done that rosie i put white vinegar in the wash instead of soap it has helped a lot the neck of the shirts were hard and rubbed my skin:( now they smell like a picked onion but feel softer

Back