• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How to eat a sausage sarnie

K

Kandor

My Uncle Les took me up to Blackpool one year in his Whites Removal Van.
We stopped off at a Greasy Joe's and Uncle Les ordered his usual Cowpie between two loaves of bread and I asked for a sausage sarnie..
I knew something was wrong from the first bite ...
The silly twit had spread butter on it...
I mean..how uncouth is that?
I'm a dry bread man I am, always have been, always will be.
Its amazing this little Island of ours..travel 10 miles north of Brum and you cant understand the language.
18 miles north east of Brum and you come to where I live..
Tamworth is a Town where you'll get two 90 years olds greet each other with 'Awlright youth?'
South Shields would never use HP sauce or Daddies Favourite, up there they smother everything with 'Chop Sauce'
Surely the vilest potion to ever desecrate a sarnie.
And another thing!!!
I knew them as Pikelets..I dont know where the hell they got Crumpets from..
Tea for me HAS to have 'Sterra' in it..you can keep your semi-skimmed..
You can keep your Streaky bacon, you can also keep your finger sandwiches..
when I want a sarnie it's dry bread with crisp bacon and a nice big,well cooked sausage..

There is a sandwich van about 100 yards from where i work and they do great sausage sarnies

now I live in Bucks they call you "old boy" and children are called "little old boys". its a very rural accent. not city brum like mine.

I second all you said there Kandor and my Lady added they will have Butter on everything in Wales North & South :eek:

Alf & Les,
Do you know I grew up a Brummie and then came to live in North Wales - Butter on every sandwich whether it's Bacon, Sausage or Ham or Cheese!! (Or should we say cheap catering spread lol :idiot2:) Totally mad isn't it??

Has to be dry bread and HP sauce - what's the matter with people that they don't understand this??

They put gravy and vinegar on chips if you don't stop them too!! And it's not even HP!!! How wrong is that??

Somethings a girl just has to shout out about aren't there?? And buttered bread on a bacon sandwich is one of them - they look at me as if I've gone mad "are you sure?" they'll ask me - well me never been so positive about not wanting something in all my life!! Somethings a girl just will not be coaxed into at all - no matter how cheap the spread is LOL ;D

Bacon sausage No Butter, Ham Cheese Butter, Cold Meat Lamb Beef & Pork No Butter, Haslet, Cornbeef. Butter. ;)

I din't like or eat the beef on Sunday when I was a babbie, but I did like a drippin' piece on Monday, with a sprinkling of salt. O0

My Grans Dripping pieces most days after school with salt & pepper on, also Lard the same on Real bread door steps.
Sunday lunch at home Bread dips in the Roasting pan and a cup of Cabbage water with pepper. Brown paper packages tied up with string these were a few of my favourite things :2funny:

I use to  drink the cabbage water Alfie. I don't think I could now, but when I'm washing the cabbage I still eat the stalk, the real hard bit at the bottom. We call it cobnob. :)

Di i love cabbage water with salt and black pepper,its a good laxative too :2funny:

Forgot to mention the stalk Di :) I still eat it now and my lads do and I still like the cabbage water with pepper angie :)and yes it can give you a good run for your money I sure its what Mom gave it us for God Bless her :smitten:

It was well done our Mothers knew what it was all about and we only realise later Yes God Bless them :)

Thinking of that Cod Liver Oil and Malt :)

Still keep it in stock now Di and touch wood I have'nt had a cold for Six years ^-^

Dont tell porkies Alfie,you had man flu a couple of months ago! remember :buck2:

Sorry Angie I should have said haven't felt cold for 6 years :2funny:

Back