• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

How to build a website?

F

flounder

Hi all,
i am new to all this searching stuff, so new i only started today and with the help of some wonderful people on here, i have found out quite a lot in such a short space of time, its completley took me by surprise.
Right to the problen in question, How do i get my own website? Will it cost me anything, money wise? And how much? Is it hard?
I would like to do it for my grandad who is 83, and has been in his hightot today with the info i have gained today about his ancestors, so if i can get it all together in one place, rather than the little book i am making notes in at the moment, also i can then print it all and put it into a little folder for him, so he look at it when he wants to.

Many thanks
Wendy.xxx

Great stuff Wendy, what a lucky man your granddad is. I'm sure you will find help here.

Hi Wendy

If you are just wanting to build a family tree there are a number of sites that allow you to do this free, there are as many things you can do with them including printing your tree from them, here are a few to start

TribalPages.com

www.GenesReunited.co.uk

www.ancestry.co.uk/Family_Tree

You can also buy a programme just for your computer such as Family Tree Maker, there are others, hope this helps

bren

Hi and welcome
There are lots of free website providers out there, these sites are usually pretty limited in size and scope but for what you want they should all be fine, just type "free web sites" in your search bar and take your pick, don't be daunted by all the jargon they'll throw at you, most sites are user friendly and give you all the help you need and having been down that road myself some time ago, if you get stuck just holler!
Have Fun
Jerry

Thats great, thanks to you both, will give it a try and hopefully it will work out with minimal foul language and attempts to throw pc out of the window! lol
Wendy.xxx

Hi Wendy :)
I agree with Bren one of the easiest free sites is tribal pages thats one I use ...you type your names in and it does set up the site for you:)if you look at my link on the bottom you will see how the sites look
best of luck:)

Back