• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HOUSEHOLD GADGETS FROM THE PAST

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
on the subject of gimicks i had one of these by the worktop.bending down to get the wasing out of the machine i stood up a bit quick, as well as tins it opened my head from the front to the middle 40 yrs on i still have a groove in me bonce :(
iVJUgVsxSxVPdxQh9eHnrL-415-80.jpg

(Image credit: Amazon)

did anyone have one of these....our mom thought it was the best thing since sliced bread...the one we had was slightly different...ours had a rubber ended attachment that you just pushed onto the tap..turned the tap on and away it went...of course we can still buy them but they are now electric...great idea for those suffering with arthritic hands

vintage potato peeler.jpg

did anyone have one of these....our mom thought it was the best thing since sliced bread...the one we had was slightly different...ours had a rubber ended attachment that you just pushed onto the tap..turned the tap on and away it went...of course we can still buy them but they are now electric...great idea for those suffering with arthritic hands

View attachment 177624
The good old potato peeler. Your clearly from a posh household Lyn lol. There was a hand cranked version too, the Legumex. My moms friend had one.

Attachments

• Legumex Potato Peeler.JPG
    Legumex Potato Peeler.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
We had the potato peeler like Lyn’s. From memory we only ever used it for small or salad potatoes. Not for really big potatoes. Viv.

Never had one, but I think it would give a nice mushy surface to the potatoes, just right for good roasties

We had a meat mincer like that, my Mom used it to make meat balls.
A neighbour had a potato peeling machine like the manual one with the handle on the top of the lid, we just peeled ours the good old fashioned way, with a hand peeler!

It was only a few years ago that I discovered those hand peelers. Before, had always used a knife to peel potatoes. My mum used to say of my knife-peeling skills “ there’s more in’t bin than’s left on them there potatoes” So three cheers for those peelers. Viv.

It was only a few years ago that I discovered those hand peelers. Before, had always used a knife to peel potatoes. My mum used to say of my knife-peeling skills “ there’s more in’t bin than’s left on them there potatoes” So three cheers for those peelers. Viv.
I used to get chastised for my potato peeling skills, Mum used to make me peel the peelings!

The good old potato peeler.
I have a manual peeler. Dates from the early 50s. I wouldn't call her vintage though, at least not from within arms length (plus a safety margin).

Our early equipment, not with us now. Twin tub washing machine, upgraded to Hotpoint top loader. Free standing spin dryer, which could walk around the floor if loaded slightly off optimum. Now we have some computer controlled wonder machine that produces similar results to the top loader, albeit with less attention.
A coffee percolator with the glass dome in the top and the tube up the middle so you could see the bloop bloop of the coffee percolating.
A ball shaped vacuum cleaner that hovered on its own air cushion.

i had one of these but left it at my old address i might get another a very handy piece of kit
il_1140xN.3699551236_tep0.jpg

Spong was the mincer to have. (You should see some of the motorised mincers for domestic use over here. 2.2KW motor (3HP) driving a mincer head that could take a leg of lamb in one go).

I used to get chastised for my potato peeling skills, Mum used to make me peel the peelings!
I laughed at this, but Julie said she knows exactly what you mean. Oh, stop laughing and look concerned.

Andrew.

A kettle than be used on gas is one item that came in useful in 'the three day week' back in the late 1970's. LIke many cookware items it was useful on an open fire for cooking and hot water. Only once since has it been needed due a short period electrical outage. As far as electric kettles are concerned we have a spare one if needed.

As far as electric kettles are concerned we have a spare one if needed.
I have a small spare electric kettle if the normal size one packs up. Been caught like that once when the kettle packed up on Christmas Eve - not pleasant battling the last minute shoppers to get a new one. :rolleyes:

Back