• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Houldcroft

A photo from the 'Courtyards and Yards of Brum' thread might be of interest ... it is nearby Court 17 and shows how conditions were long ago.

There are also photos of Hospital Street in the 'Old Street Pics' thread see
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-643694
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-643640
Thanks so much for the photos these are fantastic! I've found a few on here for various locations my ancestors have lived (or nearby) but I hadn't seen these.

not that it helps much but i think ive found adas mom mary houldcroft on the 1911 living at 4 back of 18 hunters road hockley..she is down as a boarder

lyn
Thank you - I haven't seen this address for Mary before so that will definitely be helpful when I look into her more thoroughly :)

Skenyon , keep an open mind when doing your research.

In days when people o told their details to officials , who often were not that good at spelling, the names can get distorted.
Looking through your family with the dates you have given the names have been given on record as Houldcroft, Holdcroft and Holcroft.
Good luck with the family tree, you will find it a really rewarding undertaking.
Alberta
Thank you! I had thought having an unusual name like Houldcroft might make research much easier but you're right, there are so many inconsistencies with spelling it actually gets quite confusing!

My dad actually started the research off so I'm just finishing it for him but I'm really enjoying finding out what my family were doing/where they were living etc

I've ordered a copy but I suspect it will be blank as John never knew who his father was

As Ada is with John Winfield (as Winfield) on the 1921 census and is still with him on the 1925 ER I think there's a strong possibility that John Winfield was his father.

i am going to try again to find ada on the 1911 of course fore whatever reason she may have just been missed off it...we see that time and time again

lyn

hi skenyon...just to quote you here

"Ada married John Winfield on 09.09.1923. She had my grandfather John Joseph Houldcroft (known as Jack) on 27.01.1923 in the Hospital at 99 Dudley Road (she doesn't appear to have been an inmate at the workhouse as far as I can see). As far as the family are aware, John Winfield wasn't Jack's father"

although ada married john winfield some 8 months after your grandad john joseph was born does not automatically mean he was not jacks father although on the face of it it does look likely..will be interesting to see what it says on john josephs birth cert

my gt grandparents could not and have still not been found on the 1901 census either together or seperate..it was only when brum baptisms became available on ancestry that i checked them and found out that they had had 4 children before 1911...then i found their marriage cert for 1910....on the 1911 census they state that had been married for 10 years when in fact it had only been 1 o_O a great deal of little white lies were told back in the day just to save face...so clearly they were living together in 1901 but could have either avoided being in when the emumerator came round to take their details or they could just have been missed off

lyn

hi skenyon...just to quote you here

"Ada married John Winfield on 09.09.1923. She had my grandfather John Joseph Houldcroft (known as Jack) on 27.01.1923 in the Hospital at 99 Dudley Road (she doesn't appear to have been an inmate at the workhouse as far as I can see). As far as the family are aware, John Winfield wasn't Jack's father"

although ada married john winfield some 8 months after your grandad john joseph was born does not automatically mean he was not jacks father although on the face of it it does look likely..will be interesting to see what it says on john josephs birth cert

my gt grandparents could not and have still not been found on the 1901 census either together or seperate..it was only when brum baptisms became available on ancestry that i checked them and found out that they had had 4 children before 1911...then i found their marriage cert for 1910....on the 1911 census they state that had been married for 10 years when in fact it had only been 1 o_O a great deal of little white lies were told back in the day just to save face...so clearly they were living together in 1901 but could have either avoided being in when the emumerator came round to take their details or they could just have been missed off

lyn
Wow! Yes definitely a lot of fibs being told back then.

I feel like the fact that Ada married John Winfield so soon after Jack's birth perhaps gives even more weight to his not being the father, as she could have so easily just lied and told people (including Jack and other relatives) that John was his dad, unless it was already common knowledge that this wasn't the case.

thats a good point...hope you can let us know the details on john josephs birth cert but if john winfield was not his dad it does seem a bit odd or maybe just coinsidence that she named the baby john...the plot thickens

lyn

John Joseph was born in 1923. We know she was with John in 1921 (census) so I would have thought it more likely he was the father. Otherwise why would he marry her so soon after?

John Joseph was born in 1923. We know she was with John in 1921 (census) so I would have thought it more likely he was the father. Otherwise why would he marry her so soon after?
Oh that's a very good point - I'd either not noticed or immediately forgotten that had been discovered!

Perhaps he was his father then but Jack was told otherwise for some reason? Or perhaps Jack just disliked him and convinced himself that John wasnt his real dad. Hopefully the birth certificate will arrive soon.

i agree jan ...that coupled with the child having the same first name..its likely that just because ada and john winfield married after the baby was born that family just thought he was not the childs father and we all know how easy family tales can stick.....hopefully the birth cert will reveal all...fingers crossed

lyn

this could be one of those mysteries that we can never solve...given the fact that john joseph was registered under the name of houldcroft with mothers name also houldcroft it is doubtful that there will be a fathers name on his birth cert which still does not prove one way or the other :rolleyes:

just an aside which you have probably realised....joseph was the name of adas dad..still no luck finding ada on the 1911...i did look to see if maybe ada was living with john winfield but he is living in hospital st with his parents..5 siblings and 2 adopted children

lyn

just an aside which you have probably realised....joseph was the name of adas dad..still no luck finding ada on the 1911...i did look to see if maybe ada was living with john winfield but he is living in hospital st with his parents..5 siblings and 2 adopted children

lyn
Thank you for checking again that's most appreciated. Fingers crossed the birth certificate sheds some light but it's a good point re the surname being Houldcroft, my gut feeling is still that Winfield isn't the father despite his being on the scene beforehand but I suspect we'll never know for certain.

Perhaps they'd split up/Ada had an affair and although she stayed with John for a while after grandad's birth that sort of scenario might explain why Jack was recorded as a Houldcroft.

The bit that puzzles me is they married after his birth. Unless he thought Jack was his, and they split later because he found out that he wasn't.

this could be one of those mysteries that we can never solve...given the fact that john joseph was registered under the name of houldcroft with mothers name also houldcroft it is doubtful that there will be a fathers name on his birth cert which still does not prove one way or the other :rolleyes:

DNA testing could prove John Winfield was his father or at least disapprove it.

If there are direct male line descendants of John Joseph then their Y chromosome will be the same as any direct male Winfield descendant of John's brother, uncles, great uncles etc.

However as far as I can see, despite having 3 brothers and 7 uncles they don't appear to have any male line descendants still living. Normal dna testing could still help though.

Coincidently the last surviving (as far as I can tell) lived on Hospital St until 2006.

DNA testing could prove John Winfield was his father or at least disapprove it.

If there are direct male line descendants of John Joseph then their Y chromosome will be the same as any direct male Winfield descendant of John's brother, uncles, great uncles etc.

However as far as I can see, despite having 3 brothers and 7 uncles they don't appear to have any male line descendants still living. Normal dna testing could still help though.

Coincidently the last surviving (as far as I can tell) lived on Hospital St until 2006.
That's a very interesting idea, dad's eldest brother (John Joseph's first son) has taken a dna test so I'll ask him to check for matches with any Winfields

I've also done a dna test but I can't find anyone with Winfields in their tree in my matches (but not everyone has publicly listed trees so they may still exist)

You have to keep in mind that if I'm correct then there may not be any close (cousins or second cousins) Winfields to match with. There may descendants of John's sisters or his aunts and female line descendants of his brothers or uncles, but they won't have the name Winfield.

You have to keep in mind that if I'm correct then there may not be any close (cousins or second cousins) Winfields to match with. There may descendants of John's sisters or his aunts and female line descendants of his brothers or uncles, but they won't have the name Winfield.
Ah ok that's helpful thank you - I'll keep looking through my matches and see if any have descendants from Birmingham at least, and ask my uncle to do the same - if there is a genetic link to the winfields somewhere then hopefully something will appear eventually

Finally received Jack's birth certificate - sadly the father's name/occupation is empty.

I did find some interesting info on John Winfield in the British newspaper archives though - he provided an alibi at the trial of a friend who was accused of shooting an 8-year-old child in the face with an air gun. :-/

His friend was apparently a known gang member (Cecil Street) and was eventually found guilty and sentenced to 20 months imprisonment.

Attachments

• certif.jpg
    certif.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • winfield trial.png
    winfield trial.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
thanks for the update skenyon...as you say no fathers name for john joseph but we do know that his birth was registered most likely by the person who was in charge of the workhouse or maybe a nurse...so its back to the drawing board then :rolleyes:

lyn

In case anyone is interested in our latest discoveries, my sister was contacted by a distant relative who has discovered that we have a DNA connection to her via the Winfields! This would strongly suggest that John Winfield was indeed Jack's father (or perhaps another Winfield was). Although it doesn't answer many of the questions we have like why Jack didn't know who his dad was and why John isn't on the birth certificate.

In doing some research on the Winfield's, I've also discovered that John W's mum is descended from the Marklew family and her great something grandfather was Charles Marklew, the uncle of Edward Oxford, who was infamous for being the first person to attempt to assassinate Queen Victoria. I've found some helpful information on this forum about that side of the family - all very interesting and most unexpected!

I've also finally found a photo of Ada (the first time I've seen her picture), at her son Jack (John) and Madge's wedding in 1944. Ada is on the far left, with possibly William Chambers standing next to her.

Attachments

• wedding smaller.png
    wedding smaller.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back