• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hot drinks

Camp-Coffee-Label.jpg

a coffee and chicory syrup that was the first form of instant coffee. Camp coffee became ubiquitous within the British Empire both as a popular drink and baking ingredient.

Created in 1876 to accompany the Gordon Highlanders (a British army infantry regiment) on their campaign to India, it allowed them to satisfy their coffee cravings while on the road or camping out. Reflecting this history, the original label showed a kilted soldier enjoying a cup of coffee served to him by a Sikh servant. Camp coffee is a brand that still exists today, but the label has been judiciously edited to show the Scot now enjoying a cup of coffee with his Sikh friend.

Written By: Caitlin Coleman​

Arrgh- my dad drank this particular beverage many moons ago. I was persuaded to try it (I always liked the smell of coffee), and I think that it was responsible for putting me off coffee for many years.

I now have one of those new fangled pod machines, and despite being mainly a drinker of tea, I really look forward to my mid morning cup o’ Joe.

When I moved to Huddersfield in the late 60’s there were lot’s of people I worked with who drank ‘milky coffee’ which was an instant coffee made purely with milk. I thought it was horrible myself. They also brought ‘screws’ of tea to ‘mash’ in the mill’s boiler room.

Arrgh- my dad drank this particular beverage many moons ago. I was persuaded to try it (I always liked the smell of coffee), and I think that it was responsible for putting me off coffee for many years.

I now have one of those new fangled pod machines, and despite being mainly a drinker of tea, I really look forward to my mid morning cup o’ Joe.
The problem with Camp coffee is that it is mostly chicory which has a very bitter taste and is basically masquerading as coffe!

Anyone have one of these? We had a red one, mum loved a gadget. Dispensing loose tea was made easy with one of these. I like the name: The Caddy-matic, a product of its time. With the popularity of tea bags I expect these eventually fell out of use.

F118307D-77EA-4CB4-8A2D-544ABE8C5544.jpeg
Source of image: Etsy

I remember cups of hot Bovril on a cold day at the shop and particularly at Villa Park from the kiosk at the foot of the Holte End as you walked from the turnstiles into the ground, served with an optional heaped spoonful of salt (that everyone took). :)

images
images
images
images

It's amazing the memories these things have brought back. The Horlicks mixer was Mom's pride and joy mixing the Horlicks so easily without lumps. Then the Bournvita which I loved.
I wonder if anyone has a photo of the old Ovaltine tins with two girls on the front. They were my cousins. My uncle was a keen photographer and took their photo and sent it to the Ovaltine manufacturers. Not sure if he got paid to use the photo

It's amazing the memories these things have brought back. The Horlicks mixer was Mom's pride and joy mixing the Horlicks so easily without lumps. Then the Bournvita which I loved.
I wonder if anyone has a photo of the old Ovaltine tins with two girls on the front. They were my cousins. My uncle was a keen photographer and took their photo and sent it to the Ovaltine manufacturers. Not sure if he got paid to use the photo
Horlicks to me from a spoon always taste like Maltesers .

in the 50s dad had a small oval tin with a lid each end you put suger in one end and tea the other he called it his mashing tin. we took it fishing with us for a brew up....i still look for one now like it
1690106088544.png

Last edited:
Back