• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hoppers scrapyard Aston

These are Kelly's listings from 1955 and 1967/8, I can't see a Hopper on there, would it have been after 1968? I don't have copies of Kelly's after 1968 but perhaps another member can help.

Attachments

• electric-ave.jpg
    electric-ave.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 7
I looked in 1983 (last one online) phone book and they are not listed. Are they much more recent?

Listed on Companies House from 2019

i remember them around 80 they were not so big, just a breakers yard car breakers.png
1383140_718671541551553_8828667235971802324_n.jpg

Kellys from 1969-73 do not list them, but , in fact does not list any similar business in the street. I do believe some small businesses were not always listed

I have moved this thread from the general discussion section as it is to do with Birmingham history

I remember Hoppers very well as a car breakers yard. I say a car breakers - it was very much a DIY site. I had two car fanatic sons and we spent hours there. I remember on my first visit I asked one of their lads how I went about getting a car part. With a screwdriver! was the reply. Bought an almost new spare wheel for my Ford Focus for £25 when the Ford price was well over £100. The reason was to replace the stupid useless speed restricted so called spare wheel that the car came with. Anyone else remember them?

I remember visiting them for some bits in the early 1990's. Also recall when one was driving along Aston Expressway into City they had a crane with an advert hanging from it with phone number on it, would be early 2000's, not sure if still hanging there,

I remember visiting them for some bits in the early 1990's. Also recall when one was driving along Aston Expressway into City they had a crane with an advert hanging from it with phone number on it, would be early 2000's, not sure if still hanging there,
In December, they would stick a Christmas tree on the top of the crane with fairy lights.

Not seen it for year, so I imagine its gone now.

I remember Hoppers very well as a car breakers yard. I say a car breakers - it was very much a DIY site. I had two car fanatic sons and we spent hours there. I remember on my first visit I asked one of their lads how I went about getting a car part. With a screwdriver! was the reply. Bought an almost new spare wheel for my Ford Focus for £25 when the Ford price was well over £100. The reason was to replace the stupid useless speed restricted so called spare wheel that the car came with. Anyone else remember them?
Bit off topic but my son tells me they are called "Space saver wheels" and they are still around. I think they were one of the most stupid things the motor trade introduced and should be banned. I know they are "safe" and "legal" but only if used according to the regulations..............

Bit off topic but my son tells me they are called "Space saver wheels" and they are still around. I think they were one of the most stupid things the motor trade introduced and should be banned. I know they are "safe" and "legal" but only if used according to the regulations..............
Problem is now that you do not get a spare wheel with a new car, twice in recent years the space saver was a welcome item, not available when I shredded three weeks ago in the centre Lane of the M5! supplied with my new Corsa was a repair kit, fine for holes, no good when you have a split in the side. Repair cost £200 and worth it. I now have for sale a good as new 15 inch space saver for a Corsa. Long story that has just cost a major motor dealer a lot of money, but I will say the hard shoulder is frightening and cold. I notice. the car is no cheaper because it does not have a spare wheel.
Bob

Back