• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hood Jack- boxer

jmoon

proper brummie kid
While searching the archives, I came across a posting from Blondy asking if anyone had photographs of Jack Hood, the boxer.

I have been researching the family of my mother-in-law, Evelyn Alice Hood. Jack Hood was her uncle. I have a number of family photographs including a very good one of Jack Hood taken in 1970.

If anyone else is interested in the Hoods of Aston, I would be pleased to hear from them.

Re: Jack Hood - boxer

Thanks Alf. I had, in fact, seen that.

Is it possible to post a photo on this forum? The one I have is in pdf format.

Jack Hood had a shop in the old Deritend on the right hand side going towards the City, there were several shops at the top of terrace steps (3 i think?) up from the kerbside of the road, he had Lonsdale Belt in the shop window circa 1937 on, i dont remember what he sold in his shop. Len.

brummie nick, Thanks for putting me right, Joe Fox it was, its not the first time i have got mixed up with Jack & Joe its one of my senior moments!.Len.

hi all...i could be wrong here but i am sure there are pics of jack hood hanging in the queens head pub....farm street..hockley

would that area be about right for them to show an interest in him....

astoness:):)

Thanks Alf. I had, in fact, seen that.

Is it possible to post a photo on this forum? The one I have is in pdf format.

Hi, Jmoon,

I'm interested in the thread regarding Jack Hood. As a youngster, I was told that he used to live in Lupin Street just off Gt. Lister Street, Duddeston, near where I used to live.

I wonder if this is true or not?

Regards,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi to J MOON;I met Jack years ago when I worked in a warehouse in Warstone Lane, nice man
I seem to remember he ended his days at The Sons of Rest home on the Sandpits, because I
used to sit and talk to him on the benches outside about boxing.

Hi Pedlarman,

I have no personal knowledge of where he lived but someone posted this in 2006. I will ask his niece next time I visit the nursing home but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Rather%20Not%20Say.gif

icon1.gif
Re: JACK HOOD, BRITISH BOXER
Hello Shirley, My mother ( before she died ) mentioned that she used to go to school ( St Matthews ) with his sister and l think they were living in Lupin Street. I will add that this would have been through the 1920's. Sorry that l cannot be of more help.

Thanks, Jmoon;

I suspect that Jack Hood did actually live in Lupin Street at one time.

We back-street kids didn't have much to look up to, or people (other than footballers, of course!) to idolise in those days. And the fact that a famous boxer once lived near us was always going to be a talking-point...

Incidentally - mentioning footballers - my dad told me once that he used to sit by "Pongo" Waring, a famous footballer who played, I believe, for Aston Villa. Anyone around about my doddering old age remember Pongo?

But I'm starting to meander...

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers,

Jim Pedley
icon14.gif

Hi to J MOON;I met Jack years ago when I worked in a warehouse in Warstone Lane, nice man
I seem to remember he ended his days at The Sons of Rest home on the Sandpits, .

Jack Hood was the ;Gaffer' of 'The Bell' in Tamworth In Arden, I believe he went to live with his daughter when he retired from there.

Back