• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Home Guard

There is a new thread started "Black History Inquiry" which asks a question as to the contributions of persons of colour during the war, potentially in the auxiliary territorial service.

Any ideas of service in the Home Guard ?
Back to your earlier comment, an interesting question, Pedrocut. I am not aware of cases of HG membership. If any did exist anywhere it would have been a tiny number - not because of prejudice but simply because of the lack of candidates.

Chris

Can’t find any relating to Birmingham, and very few for the rest of the country.

Just one found in Liverpool. He was fined £5 for not carrying out his duties. On appeal it was found that he had been refused entry to a dance and returned in his Home Guard uniform. He was still refused and therefore refused to carry out further duties. The judge reduced the fine to a farthing !

If the history of this appalling year in Ukraine is ever written, we shall know whether any organisation was ever formed there which was equivalent to our Home Guard in 1940.

Whilst we laugh at Dad's Army, it's easy to ignore the looming fear that EVERY British Home Guard man had to live with, day and night - not just in the summer/autumn of 1940 but into 1941 (and beyond, had Russia been overrun which was possible for a long time) - that it might all be for real and that they might find themselves defending their own homes and neighbourhoods. And to the last man.

That's what happened to the Volksturm - the German Home Guard, formed in 1944, where older men and young boys found themselves as gun fodder in the winter and spring of 1945. And now perhaps in Ukraine at this very moment.

My own father wrote of the earliest HG days:
"Parades start in real earnest. All are keen and are most willing to learn. We all, including the instructors, make many mistakes. We work on musketry, loading and sighting, field work and the parade ground, the duties of sentries, and then more musketry. This active work is a splendid antidote to the sickening thoughts of the time, of Germany and Italy and perhaps Japan against Britain now standing alone. As the old lady said at the height of the London Blitz : "There's one good thing about all this bombing, it takes your mind off the war.""

How lucky are we, the succeeding generations, to be able to joke about the activities of our own Home Guard service.

Chris

During their service in the Home Guard, male members are eligible for subsistence allowance of 1s. 6d. for a continuous period of duty of 5–8 hours; 3s. for 8–15 hours; 4s. 6d. for 15–24 hours. If practicable, subsistence in kind is provided in lieu. They are eligible for refund of reasonable travelling expenses incurred in attending authorised duty; and may claim compensation for loss of earnings, in respect of courses of not less than 6 days' duration or in certain other circumstances, up to a maximum rate of £3 18s. 6d. a week or 13s. 1d. a day. Women nominated for employment with the Home Guard are not eligible for these payments.

Looks like it was part of this parade from a different angle.
All of the military (Home Guard) in this pic are wearing their hats (helmets) but maybe some of the watching crowd probably not. Some spectators stood on the window ledges of the building opposite for a better view. Probably the largest number of firearms ever seen in Colmore Row.
index.php

I used to think that this massive parade was on the occasion of the Home Guard stand-down on Sunday December 3rd 1944 which was celebrated in every town in the U.K., not least Birmingham. But apparently it dates from much earlier, from Sunday, 23rd March 1941. It is associated with a Drumhead Service, held on the Municipal Car Park, arranged by the Chaplain, the Archdeacon of Aston. Then this march-past outside the Council House with the G.O.C. Western Command, General Sir Robert Gordon-Finlayson, taking the salute. Still pretty grim days, with the bombing and the thought of invasion arising again with the lengthening days. No one knew at that moment that Hitler's eyes were by then looking to the east, rather than in our direction.

Chris

1665160377022.pngFrom dusk to dawn, at an important un-named works in Birmingham, the works Home Guard man a specially built look-out tower. The armoured crow's nest on top of the building giving an uninterrupted view of the surrounding country, whilst below is heavy brick-built shelter, electrically heated, provided with look-out or firing embrasures, and in telephonic communication with the works. Fifteen men are posted at the tower each night, and keep watch in relays. 19th September 1940

Not Birmingham but maybe of interest:

The GPO Home Guard unit in Birmingham, formed in May/early June 1940 and consisting entirely of GPO employees, evolved during the second half of 1940 into the 47th Warwickshire (Post Office) Battalion, Home Guard). It lost 4 of its members to enemy action in three separate incidents before the end of the year. Details of these unfortunate men can be seen here:
Unfortunately no images of members of this battalion seem to have surfaced so far, to my knowledge. They MUST exist, somewhere!

Chris

The Home Guard 1939-45
Members of the Home Guard operate a Browning machine-gun from a trailer hitched to a car during exercises with regular troops, 2 February 1942.
1691231309266.png
From Wikimedia Commons,

Many former gun emplacements, buildings, rail tracks (narrow) and other remains of Home Guard activities exists in Devon and elsewhere I guess along the coast where defense was paramount with regard to attacks on shipping and possible shore landings.
Much could be seen after undergrowth, exposing the earth, could be seen when there was a large grass/gorse fire particularly on headlands. During the 1976 dry season I saw many of these relics when attending fires in the area.

#349, looks like a Vickers .303, heavy, but may be wrong, my dear Uncle Horace Manton, was a dispatch rider for the Home guard, Handsworth Div, and is in one of the "Birmingham" magazine articles!!

I'm a bit ignorant about weapons ! You are probably right. It was that there seemed to be something below the barrel sticking out. It was probably the end of his belt

lee enfield.jpg

Strap of the rifle, I think, Mike.....

(Great pity that with this picture, as with so many, there is no information recorded about unit or location. The definition isn't good enough to see the battalion insignia at the top of the sleeve. All we can say is that the car appears to have had a Staffordshire registration).

Chris

Back