• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holly Hall Dudley.

peanut15

master brummie
Anyone got map/ street plan that has Holly Hall Dudley on it mid to late 1800's early 1900's.
Intrested in locating my gt-gt-grandads house. Believe long gone now council estate thanks.

Peanut
I hope the attached gives you the info you require. Holly Hall is on the border of two 1901 maps, so i have scanned two sections and stuck them together (not very neatly i'm afraid)
mike

Holly_Hall_c_1901.jpg

Thanks Mikejee, gives me a start. I need to try now to narrow down where he lived as address i got is just Hollyhall Dudley. Expecting large residence as he was a charter master employing people for the mining industry. Notice a disused pit on map presume there must be more in area.

Yes there were lots of pits around. About ¼ mile south of the bottom of the area shown in the map were Woodside colliery pit 3 and pit 4. about ¾mile south himley colliery pit 10 and Saltwells colliery (disused at time of map), peartree colliery about ¾ mile to the south east, parkhead ½ mile to the east, pits 1 & 19 of himley½ mile to the north west and thornleigh colleries ¾ mile to the east. When was your great great grandfather at the pit , and what was his name. We might find him on a census, and should be able to work out where the house was
Mike

In 1901 Henry Cooper was 68, believe address was 130 high street. By this time he was a chartermaster, earlier cencus shows him as a coalminer. 1881 address is 43 stourbridge rd dudley.

I notice this post has been on a long time, but in case your still around....and haven't already found out! lol

High Street was renamed Highgate road and runs from St Augustine's Church at the Cross (From where the drinking Fountain is on the Map that incidentally is no longer there) down to the railway bridge where it becomes Pedmore Road and runs down to the Merry Hill Centre (Past the area marked as the Rope Walk on the Map)

The road was widened in the 1970's, which is why they moved the Drinking Fountain which has never been 'found' since, and the War Memorial that is now to the rear of St Augustine's Church. A lot of the houses on the side of the Park, (the opposite side of the road to the church) no longer exist, they were knocked down and never replaced.

Hope this has been of some help. I may be able to find out a bit more if you need any. Let me know.

Thanks for that, been chasing other family links forgot this one shame been updated and some houses gone, dont suppose the old 130 highst survived the changes.

Discovered which pit Henry Petford was working for. It was Woodside for a owner called Cochrane so he must have lived nearby.

Hi peanut 15, as you seem to know about mines etc. My 2nd G Grandfather named Thomas Cadman was a miner,he died at the age of 33 in 1860 in Dudley. Do you know if there were any mining accidents at about that time. Lizzie

Your assumption seems to be correct. Below are three reports, nearley identical, but have included all for the expolsoion , all from 15.5.1860

Daily_news_15_5_1860.jpg

morning_post_15_5_1860.jpg

The_standard_15_5_1860.jpg

Mike thats great info.

Peanut15 Holly Hall is an area within Dudley. I too had a relation living within that area, and at Harts Hill - he was a charter master, their surname being Danks.

Try this site as it is great with anything connected to the Black Country. https://www.genealogyforum.co.uk
Carol

Hi looking at harts hill, newspaper report dated 05-07-1901 states a Petford was killed by a roof fall. Mine owner Cochrane cant get first name for Petford
looked various sites no clues

Hi Mikejee , That's really kind of you . I could not have found that without you, I have been reading the newspaper reports and it it my g g grandfather, I must admit it has upset me a little bit,because when you work your Family Tree you feel very close to them.I can not thank you enough for what you have done. BusyLizzieXX

Back