• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HOLLAND Peggy b1926 - 2 Station Road, Witton

Gillian Atkins

master brummie
Dear All

I am looking for any information on:

Peggy HOLLAND
Born: 1926
Resided at: 2 Station Road, Witton

Peggy may have been adopted as a 9 year old child after the death of her Gran Rose HOLLAND. Her surname could have possibly been changed to SWINBOURNE and might have lived in Aston Lane with her adoptive family. I have been unable to find any birth registration or baptism entry in Aston Church for Peggy, although someone is checking All Souls in Witton for me.  Peggy was my mother Hazel HOLLAND's younger sister.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.

Thank you  :cat:

Gillian :flower:

Re: Peggy HOLLAND b1926 - 2 Station Road, Witton

Gillian......just checked the births on ancestry for the years 1925-29, sorry to say couldn't find a Peggy Holland born Birmingham for those years.
was Peggy her proper name.....?......William Holland was living at 2, Station Road in 1920, he was the only person listed there of voting age,
and at 180 Witton Lane was Harry Swinbourne and Sarah Ann Swinbourne again the only people of voting age......sorry I couldn't be more helpful......

Peggy is usually a name derived from Margaret, perhaps you should look under Margaret.

Margaret J mothers name Edkins dec qtr 1926 Birmingham N

I have searched for Peggy and Margaret under the names of both HOLLAND and SWINBOURNE for 1926.   At the moment its a complete mystery. Hazel and Peggy's mother was Martha HOLLAND. 

Thank you for checking for me.... :)

:angel: Gillian, John may have the right one, as Edkins would be the mother's maiden name on this entry.

Who ever registered Hazel may have put Martha's married name by mistake.

Holland Hazel : mothers name: Holland Jan qtr 1925 Birmingham N page: 6d Vol: 534

Holland Margaret J: mothers name: Edkins  dec qtr 1926  Birmingham N page: 6d Vol: 593

We need to look for Martha's marrage now. Do you have an idea when or what year this was?

We're a complicated lot our family :D

According to Hazel Atkins' birth certificate, her mother Martha HOLLAND was unmarried at the time of her birth :coolsmiley: so her maiden name would be HOLLAND

Gillian :cat:

Gillian............there is an EDITH Holland........ Mother: HOLLAND

1926 Apr/ May/ June 6d 885.

Could Peggy be a "pet" name? We have this in our family.........differant birth name to the used name and NO connection at all!!! ::)

:smitten: As you say complicated, so could Edkins have been mistranscribed for Atkins or did that name come into play a lot later?

Just another thought, not meaning to confuse matters even more, but just giving another slant on the name. O0

Peggy HOLLAND b1926

Hi All :)

Peggy was a spinster when she died and is definitely a HOLLAND as this was her mother's maiden name and was also that of my Mother until she married and became ATKINS.

I can't trace any birth registration for a Peggy/Margaret HOLLAND with a birthdate of March 1926 and a mother's maiden name of HOLLAND. I have also searched for a registration in the name of SWINBOURNE (Peggy and Margaret) and again no entry was found in the whole of England and Wales for the March quarters of 1926 and 1927. Someone from Birmingham Library has spoken to the genealogist at the Birmingham Register Office and he has confirmed that none of the female births in the name of HOLLAND for March 1926 show the mother as Martha HOLLAND (Martha was unmarried when she had both Hazel and Peggy). I have been told that it is possible that Peggy's birth was registered under the surname of her father and this may be the reason why the registration cannot be found. It would have been possible for his name to appear on the birth certificate provided that he was present at the registration and agreed to this. Hazel and Peggy's Mother Martha HOLLAND died suddenly at home on 3rd December 1926 and there was a post mortem and an inquest. I wonder if this death would have been reported at the time in the local newspaper? Would it have been the Birmingham Post or the Evening Mail?

The electoral registers of 1928 to 1933 show William and Rose HOLLAND and also Albert HOLLAND living at 2 Station Road - Albert is possibly Martha's brother? From 1934 to 1937 only William and Rose are listed and for 1937/8 there is only an entry for William.

So, it seems that I have reached a dead end with my Peggy unless anyone out there remembers this family. :(

Back